What Book Would You Recommend ?

Hello guys. It's been quite a while since I have started programming in C/C++, so I would like to start learning more in-depth concepts about Software Engineering and Artificial Intelligence.

Though, there are tons of books available and all of them have good reviews.. My one and only question is, does any of you have any recommandation for me ? I don't really know where to start from and what would be a good book to pick. It doesn't matter if the book is about any other programming language than C/C++ (ie: Java).

Please let me know if you read a specific book and you found it good.

PS: Forgot to mention, if any of you knows some good books about Data Structures (one that covers the graph theory would be even better, but not a must) please let me know.

Thank you so so much guys. :)

Kind regards,
Raul Butuc.
closed account (z05DSL3A)
jumper007 wrote:
...in-depth concepts about Software Engineering...
When you say Software Engineering what do you understand it to be? I only ask because in the past when I have suggested Software Engineering by Ian Sommerville to people to turns out to be not what they thought it was.
This is what I understand by Software Engineering: http://studentnet.cs.manchester.ac.uk/syllabus/index.php?code=COMP23420&year=2013

Hope this is clear enough. I am still in high-school, but by the end of the next year I am going to take a Software Engineering course in a University in England. I am just really eager to know as much as possible about everything relating to Computer Science.

I will take a look at the book you mentioned. And, if you happen to know any other good books for AI or Data Structures, please let me know.

Thanks again. :)

Kind regards,
Raul Butuc.
Last edited on
closed account (z05DSL3A)
If you do a course in Software Engineering in a University in England there I would expect that you would come across Sommerville.

It has been a while since I did anything with AI so would not be in a position to recommend any books there.

Some books that you may be of interest, they are not all that cheap so try to find them at your local library or see if your local university allows you to use their library, before you commit to them.

Introduction to Algorithms
T Cormen et al

Algorithms in C++: Fundamentals, Data Structures, Sorting, Searching and Graph Algorithms Pts. 1-5
Robert Sedgewick

The Art of Computer Programming: Volumes 1-4a (not for the faint hearted)
Donald E. Knuth

Code Complete: A Practical Handbook of Software Construction
Steve McConnell

Concrete Mathematics: Foundation for Computer Science
Donald E. Knuth
Thank you :D

That's perfect! I think I will be busy for the next few months. I'm going to look for these books at the local libraries or maybe buy (some of) them. Thanks a lot! :)

Kind regards,
Raul Butuc.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.