Keeping forward with C++

Hi,

The first time I "met" C++ was about 3.5 years ago. I'm now 17.
Just to know, I'm into OOP programming for a year, and till now I've made some private personal projects using this paradigm. I program almost everyday.

The question on this topic is this: how can I evaluate my C++ knowledge and skills and give a verdict regarding it?

I can say that I constantly learn something about C++ everyday. It may be small things or big things, but I never seem to reach a certain "top".

If I ask my teacher to evaluate me, she explains that I know much more than any other person in my school about C++ (and I'm at intensive C++ courses). But when I come to forums like stackoverflow.com, I feel puny because of my lack of knowledge compared to the other's. This confuses me.

Now, I'm reading a C++ Primer 6th edition (I want to learn more about OOP). Also this summer, I'm going to read The Linux programming interface (by Kerrisk) and GUI C++ with QT4.

Thank you,
Robert

Last edited on
closed account (N36fSL3A)
Try to search the internet for challenges.

Once you are uncertain about anything, just ask. The worst they can say is what you're doing is wrong.
I know much more than any other person in my school about C++
But when I come to forums like stackoverflow.com, I feel puny because of my lack of knowledge compared to the other's

That's not a contradiction: you have a good head start, but you don't yet have the decades of learning and working the top posters on stackoverflow have.

Don't stop programming, but also make sure to at least go through all the beginner best practices and the intermediate books from the list at http://stackoverflow.com/questions/388242/the-definitive-c-book-guide-and-list (and, eventually, the 'advanced' books as well)

I can say that I constantly learn something about C++ everyday. It may be small things or big things, but I never seem to reach a certain "top".

I have a gold badge in "c++" on stackoverflow, write cppreference.com in my spare time, work alongside committee members, and I still constantly learn new things about C++, no top in sight. It's hard enough to keep myself from falling behind, actually.
I'm behind on all the new C++11 stuff...
It's a pain to do all the learning I need to catch up enough to write about it...

[edit] But once I do... a lot of it is cool
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.