VGA Graphics emulation?

I'm currently working on VGA Graphics emulation (the rendering part. Text emulation already works). For some reason I keep getting blue pixels everywhere, when trying to use 256 or 16 color modes?

byte logpixels = 0;

byte VGA_getpixel(VGA_Type *VGA, int x, int y)
{
	word vramstart = ((VGA->registers->CRTControllerRegisters.REGISTERS.STARTADDRESSHIGHREGISTER<<8)|VGA->registers->CRTControllerRegisters.REGISTERS.STARTADDRESSLOWREGISTER); //Start address of VRAM display!
	//vramstart += getVRAMScanlineStart(VGA,y)*getVRAMScanlineMultiplier(VGA); //Start of the graphics row!

uint_32 offset; //The offset!
	byte bit; //The bit we need!

if (VGA->registers->GraphicsRegisters.REGISTERS.GRAPHICSMODEREGISTER.Color256ShiftMode) //256-color mode?
	{
		/*uint_32 planeoffset = getVRAMScanlineStart(VGA,y)+x; //The full offset!
		byte result = readVRAMplane(VGA,vramstart,planeoffset%4,planeoffset/4); //Get the 8-bit pixel!
		*/
		offset = getVRAMScanlineStart(VGA,y)+x; //The offset!

if (logpixels)
		{
			dolog("VGA_VRAM","Scanline size: %i",getVRAMScanlineStart(VGA,1));
			dolog("VGA_VRAM","VRAM Start: %i",vramstart);
			logpixels = 0; //No logging anymore!
		}
		/*if (logpixels && y<5) //First 5 rows only?
		{
			dolog("VRAM","%03i,%03i=%05X",x,y,offset); //Log the result!
			if (x==getxres(VGA) && y==5) //Last X?
			{
				++logpixels; //Next pixel level!
			}
			if (logpixels>2) //More than 2 screens?
			{
				logpixels = 0; //Not logpixels anymore!
			}
		} //Should be OK!
		*/
		return readVRAMdirect(VGA,vramstart,offset); //Seems to work...
	}
	else if (VGA->registers->GraphicsRegisters.REGISTERS.GRAPHICSMODEREGISTER.ShiftRegisterInterleaveMode) //Shift Register Interleave mode?
	{
		uint_32 planeindex = /*getVRAMScanlineStart(VGA,y)+ */ (x/8); //Plane index, should be OK for row 0!
		byte planelow = readVRAMplane(VGA,vramstart,(x%8)/4,planeindex); //Lower plane: OK!
		byte planehigh = readVRAMplane(VGA,vramstart,((x%8)/4)+2,planeindex); //Higher plane: OK!
		byte shift = 6-((x%8)%4)*2; //OK!
		byte bitmask = 3<<shift; //The bitmask for the lower&higher planes: OK!
		return ( //This should be OK!
			((planelow&bitmask)>>shift)|
			(((planehigh&bitmask)>>shift)<<2)
			); //Give the VRAM value of the specified pixel!
	}
	else if (!VGA->registers->ExternalRegisters.MISCOUTPUTREGISTER.IO_AS) //Monochrome mode?
	{
		offset = (getVRAMScanlineStart(VGA,y)+((x/8)*getVRAMMemAddrSize(VGA))); //Offset!
		bit = 7-(x%8); //The bit in the byte!
		return getBitPlaneBit(VGA,vramstart,0,offset,bit); //Give the bit from VRAM plane 0!
	}
	else //16-color mode = Single shift?
	{
		//TODO!
		return 0xF; //White out!
		bit = 7-((x%4)*2); //The bit number!
		offset = (getVRAMScanlineStart(VGA,y)+((x/8)*getVRAMMemAddrSize(VGA)));
		return (getBitPlaneBit(VGA,vramstart,0,offset,bit)| //Bit0
			(getBitPlaneBit(VGA,vramstart,1,offset,bit)<<1)| //Bit1
			(getBitPlaneBit(VGA,vramstart,2,offset,bit)<<2)| //Bit2
			(getBitPlaneBit(VGA,vramstart,3,offset,bit)<<3)); //Bit3
	}
}

Btw, getBitPlaneBit(VGA instance(Which holds the full VRAM and all other VGA related settings, registers etc.), VRAM start address(0-VRAMsize), Plane number(0-3), Byte number within Plane(Normally 0-65535), Bit(0=9)) gives a bit from VRAM.
readVRAMplane is the same, but without the bit option (thus returning a whole byte of VRAM).
getVRAMScanLineStart(VGA,Scanline) returns the start address of a scanline in VRAM, from the beginning of VRAM (Using a precalculated value:

uint_32 getVRAMScanlineStart(VGA_Type *VGA,word Scanline) //Start of a scanline!
{
	return VGA->precalcs.scanlinesize*Scanline; //Give the start of the row!
}

Calculation of precalcs scanlinesize:

VGA->precalcs.rowsize = (VGA->registers->CRTControllerRegisters.REGISTERS.OFFSETREGISTER<<1);

VGA->precalcs.VRAMmemaddrsize = VGA->registers->CRTControllerRegisters.REGISTERS.UNDERLINELOCATIONREGISTER.DW?4:
							(VGA->registers->CRTControllerRegisters.REGISTERS.CRTCMODECONTROLREGISTER.UseByteMode?1:2); //Memory address size!

VGA->precalcs.scanlinesize = VGA->precalcs.rowsize*VGA->precalcs.VRAMmemaddrsize; //Scanline size! 

)
Last edited on
Got it working so far on the 256 color shift mode and the Monochrome mode. Anyone knows what's going wrong with the Shift Register Interleave mode and the 16-color mode?
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.