A linked list benchmark: STL vs simple one?

Basically I have two linked lists, one which is the STL implementation and the other was mine and I tried running a benchmark to see which is better and the STL one wins by a large margin

using_method1  (my list)
Total time: 1531 in ms
Total time: 1281 in ms minus random

using_method2 (stl list)
Total time: 110 in ms
Total time: -140 in ms minus random

The thing thats weird about this is that if I increase the value of
const int limit = 10000000;
by a magnitude then I get a similar answer for method2 which doesn't make sense (and method1 is ten times longer). I wonder if maybe method2 isn't evaluated at all? I'm using g++ with -o3 flag. Heres the code at pastebin http://codebin.org/view/77e80e13
Last edited on
closed account (o1vk4iN6)
You shouldn't really be printing to cout in your list data structure as that is slow and might exactly be the bottleneck.

Edit: Also wow, use loops for duplicated code like that instead of having 400 lines of the samething....
Last edited on
[quote = xerxi]You shouldn't really be printing to cout in your list data structure as that is slow and might exactly be the bottleneck. [/quote]

I'm not sure what you mean. Which line in the code or like what function?
For example, in your destructor.
@ Zhuge and xerzi

I see. I removed the std::cout from lines 47 and 108 (the destructor and the pop_back function) and recompiled and ran but I got.

Total time: 172 in ms

using_method1
Total time: 1641 in ms
Total time: 1469 in ms minus random

using_method2
Total time: 93 in ms
Total time: -79 in ms minus random

Process returned 0 (0x0)   execution time : 2.109 s
Press any key to continue.

Why would using std::cout cause "interference" by the way?

EDIT Running it with

const int limit = 1000000000;
const int mod = 256;

Outputs

Total time: 11500 in ms

using_method1
Total time: 171063 in ms
Total time: 159563 in ms minus random

using_method2
Total time: 12406 in ms
Total time: 906 in ms minus random

Method2 is getting used by the processor although the execution time is ~1 second without randomly throwing "darts" at it.
Last edited on
I/O in general is very slow. There's plenty of material out there on it, it's good knowledge.

Your code seems strange, what's up with huge copy pasta'd lines?
@ResidentBiscuit.

I unrolled the traversal of the lists so that there is less "indirection" involved using branching. Trust me I tried using method 2 (the stl list) inside a for loop and its just as slow as method 1.

The thing is that method 1 "unrolled" doesn't speed up while method 2 is lightning fast? I don't understand why that is.
> I wonder if maybe method2 isn't evaluated at all?
using the -S flag to see the assembler code
//using_method2
.L331: //for(int count = 0; count < limit; count++)
	call	rand
	subl	$1, %ebx
	jne	.L331
so it does not call method2, just generates random numbers.

By the way, ¿why is the std::list holding pointers to nodes? It should be simply unsigned int as you hand-made list.

Edit:
//LINKED_LIST = new linked_list();
linked_list LINKED_LIST;
Last edited on
thanks ne555, just what I suspected although I wonder why doesn't it call it though?

By the way, ¿why is the std::list holding pointers to nodes? It should be simply unsigned int as you hand-made list.

Yeah I just noticed it too. I guess it was me having a brainfart. The stl list already has a "node".
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.