[C++] Best way to add and edit a map

I have a map that I need to add and edit data. The problem is that I don't always know if I'm adding or editing.

As I understand, the .insert() function fails when the key already exists, and the [] operator will either insert or edit, depending whether or not it exists.

My question is twofold:
At the points where I know I'm inserting, is either method better?

At the pints where I don't know, is it better to use find and insert or use the [] operator, or is it just as well to just use the [] operator, and let the backend do the work?

Obviously, just using [] would be shorter, and logically (In my mind) faster, but my logic doesn't always match the STL, so I figured I should ask.

Thanks!
Last edited on
The only time (that I can think of) where operator[] can be useful is when you want to set the value of a key (overwrite it if it already has a value), and you know that it is safe to overwrite

That is my exact situation. The keys are user inserted, i.e they enter a key, and then the program asks for the value. So using the [] operator is a good, safe way for me to do it? I have no concerns for overwriting data.
Hi meesa,

I have no idea whether this is relevant at all, but the last post where I mentioned the operator[], it was this example I had in mind :

http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/general/91237/#msg490444

So this problem was about recording the positions of words in a file. A map of vectors was used, the word is the key, and it's position the value pushed into the vector. The operator[] was convenient because if it was an existing word, then the position of it would be pushed into the vector for that key, otherwise the [] would return a new key and the word's position pushed into it's vector.

So it might depend on what the type of the map value is: POD; a class object; or a container; or combinations of these. And what the meaning (or consequences) of a duplicate map key is.

There is also std::multimap, std::unordered_map, and the idea that you can overload you own operator[] .

Any way I am sure you can figure all this out, it's just that there are different ways (of varying complexity) of thinking about it.

Last edited on
So using the [] operator is a good, safe way for me to do it? I have no concerns for overwriting data.
Then the answer is clearly yes.

use insert() if you're interested in more than just putting the object in the map
std::map<>::operator[]() requires that the mapped_type must be DefaultConstructible. If the key does not exist, it creates a key-data pair by default constructing the mapped_type, inserts the key-data pair into the map, and then returns a reference to the default constructed data.

std::map<>::emplace() allocates the requisite amount of memory and then constructs the key-data pair in-place.

#include <iostream>
#include <string>

struct A
{
    A() { std::cout << "A:: default constructor\n" ; }

A( const char* aa ) : a(aa) { std::cout << "A:: one arg constructor\n" ; }

A ( const A& that ) : a(that.a) { std::cout << "A:: copy constructor\n" ; }

A& operator= ( const A& that )
    {
        std::cout << "A:: assignment\n" ;
        a = that. a ;
        return *this ;
    }

std::string a ;
};

#include <map>

int main()
{
    std::map< int, A > map ;

{
        // possibly only if A is DefaultConstructible
        map[1] = "hello world" ;
        /*
        A:: one arg constructor
        A:: default constructor
        A:: assignment
        */
    }
    std::cout << "------------------------\n" ;
    {
        // possibly only if A is CopyConstructible
        map.insert( { 2, "hello again" } ) ;
        /*
        A:: one arg constructor
        A:: copy constructor
        */
    }
    std::cout << "------------------------\n" ;
    {
        map.emplace( 3, "hello for a third time" ) ;
        // A:: one arg constructor
    }
}

http://ideone.com/iqxyzf
My map is simply map<char, float>. I'll be using the [] operator where I'm not sure.

Thanks to everybody for the input!
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.