Issue with SDL library

So I've been having this really annoying issue with trying to set up the SDL library in Dev-C++. I have been following the instructions here
http://lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/lesson01/windows/devcpp/index.php
with absolutely no luck. I did everything that the page said to, I triple checked that the libraries, includes, and binaries had installed correctly, and that the compiler knew where to find them. I put the correct command in the linker, and put SDL.dll in the same folder as my project. I copied his code into the project and all my compiler would do is yield these messages:

Circular untitled <- untitled.o dependency dropped. 
   g++.exe  [Warning] linker input file unused because linking not done 
   untitled.o: No such file or directory. 
   Error 1 (if this is the only error: please check your library includes) 

Its really been annoying me, and any help would be appreciated.
Thanks for your time.
Let me attempt to stop you.

SDL 1.2 is wretchedly outdated.

If you're going to use SDL, at least use 2.0. Use these tutorials instead:

http://lazyfoo.net/tutorials/SDL/index.php
closed account (N36fSL3A)
D:

Those aren't tutorials, just source. Just follow the 1.2 tutorials, they'll be very helpful.

2.0 Isn't a drastic change from what I hear. They only changed what they needed.
Disch is pretty knowledgeable in this area, and I've seen his recommendation multiple times before. Are you sure about what you're saying?
Last edited on
closed account (N36fSL3A)
No, I never said ignore. I meant, go through the 1.2 tutorials, then read the 2.0 source. You'll have a better idea on what you're doing.

The source isn't even a tutorial from the last time I checked.
Ah - I guess it's only me that gets confused when learning two different versions of something. Everyone's different.
Last edited on
!!!

I never realized the LazyFoo 2.0 stuff was just source. I had been linking to it as though it were a tutorial.

Well that blows.

Thanks for pointing that out, Lumpkin.

2.0 Isn't a drastic change from what I hear. They only changed what they needed.

The API isn't drastically different... however what the lib actually does behind the scenes is significantly different (and much better).

SDL 1.2 gets crap for performance, has severely limited drawing capabilities (no rotation, no flipping, no scaling... just plain rectangle->rectangle copy) and uses extremely outdated drawing concepts which haven't been in widespread use in years (blitting, dirty rects). This is why I try to steer people away from it.

It's such a shame that there's all these tutorials for it, and so little for the myriad of other libs that are so much better.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.