Looking for the next step in learning c++

As of a few weeks ago, I started learning the basics from Alex Allain's "Jumping into C++" ebook. I'm just looking for recommendations on what the next step would be after I finish it.
closed account (N36fSL3A)
How well would you rate yourself?

What are your goals?
Well, I haven't really gotten very far in the book yet. Currently at chapter 9 getting to arrays and such. Though with how far I've gotten in it, I would rate myself as doing very well with understanding the subjects it has covered so far with minimal trouble completing a couple of practice problems.

As far as goals go, I'm not quite sure where I would like to go with programming. I would like to get into automation software and game development. With any route I decide to go, I would like to gain a great understanding of the c++ language first before moving on to such a big project.
closed account (N36fSL3A)
If you're getting into game dev, or any graphics software dev for that matter, look into SFML/SDL next. Then, once you feel good with it, use either of the two with OpenGL.
If you have learned classes, learn advanced topics such as polymorphism, File I/O and pointers.
Thank you both for the information. I have yet to get to the classes, it comes near the end of the ebook. Are there any other books or resources I should look into after this one? Did a little research and saw "C++ Primer" and figured I will probably get it.
Last edited on
I advice to read "Thinking in C++" by Bruce Eckel.

http://mindview.net/Books/TICPP/ThinkingInCPP2e.html
I have to agree with vlad on this one. The Thinking in C++ Volume 1 and 2 are good books and completely free. They are a bit outdated, but still a lot of the data is still relevant.
> Did a little research and saw "C++ Primer" and figured I will probably get it.

Assuming that the "C++ Primer" is the one by Lippman, Lajoie, and Moo, (fifth edition) you have already made an excellent choice.

A very good book to go with it is: "C++ Standard Library Tutorial and Reference by Nicolai Josuttis"

Other good books ate listed here:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/388242/the-definitive-c-book-guide-and-list
You could also try "Programming Challenges-The programing Contest Training Manual" by Steven S. Skiena and Miguel A. Revilla. It will help you with the practical problem.
Also I would advice to read "Data Structures & Algorithms in Java" by Robert Lafore. Though his code examples contain bugs and are primitive nevertheless the book is read easy and gives you knowledge about basic data structures and algorithms.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.