C++ Books help.

Pages: 12
Hi i was wondering if anyone of you have read and would recommend
"Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++" by Bjarne Stroustrup or
"The C++ Programming Language, 4th Edition" also by Bjarne.
If you have read any of them would you recommend them? Or if you now any other good book about c++ please let me now. i am still pretty much a beginner at c++ so it can't be to advanced.
You know what I find helps a lot of people with programming? No, this isn't a joke, I'm dead serious. Read these two books:

Calculus: Early Transcendentals by Briggs & Cochran
Data Structures and Algorithm Analysis in C 2nd Ed. by Mark Allen Weiss

Read them in that order. You won't understand the second one until you finish at least the first five chapters of the first one.

EDIT:
Make sure you're very strong with algebra, too.
Last edited on
If you are a beginner then I do not advice books of Straustrup.
closed account (jwkNwA7f)
+1 for vlad
A good beginner book is Michael Dawson's Beginning C++ Through Game Programming:
http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-C-Through-Game-Programming/dp/1435457420/

Hope this helped!
Hi i was wondering if anyone of you have read and would recommend
"Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++" by Bjarne Stroustrup or
"The C++ Programming Language, 4th Edition" also by Bjarne.

The latter is not a book intended to teach you C++ - it's just a language reference, but the former
assumes no previous programming experience and it's one of the best places to start learning C++.
There are only a few instructions in C++, an normal book that explained it clearly is good enough. While i suggest you type in more code and test it, this is really a good way of learning.
@m4ster r0shi

but the former
assumes no previous programming experience and it's one of the best places to start learning C++.

The next stupidy. It is the worst book for beginners.
vlad from moscow wrote:
m4ster r0shi wrote:
[...] but the former assumes no previous 
programming experience and it's one of 
the best places to start learning C++.

The next stupidy. It is the worst book for beginners.

Can you back your claim? The people who upvoted and fav'd this SO
post seem to disagree with you... -> http://stackoverflow.com/q/388242
Last edited on
Yueeng wrote:
There are only a few instructions in C++...

I would agree with this if we were talking about C.
@Daleth
Come on, you can't count in the STL instructionsXD

And by the way, how do you wirte the

Yueeng wrote:
There are only a few instructions in C++...
thing?
closed account (z05DSL3A)
Yueeng wrote:
And by the way, how do you wirte the [quote] thing?

[quote=Yueeng]The quote goes here[/quote] would give you:

Yueeng wrote:
The quote goes here
Last edited on
@m4ster r0shi

Can you back your claim? The people who upvoted and fav'd this SO
post seem to disagree with you... -> http://stackoverflow.com/q/388242

As I several times said there are many idiots in programming who has no own brain and simply repeats srupidy after more well-known idiots.

The main and only reason that they are unable to admit that the book of Straustrup is bad is that Straustrup is the author of C++ and nothing more.
The main and only reason that they are unable to admit that the book of Straustrup is bad is that Straustrup is the author of C++ and nothing more.

Why would they do that? That would be a very stupid thing to do. Almost as stupid as claiming that the book is bad based just on the fact that Stroutstrup is the author and nothing more.
Vlad, Out of interest have you read "Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++"? If so why did you read it? And did you try to read it from the view point of someone that knows nothing about programming or a smart ares that know everything?
@m4ster r0shi
Almost as stupid as claiming that the book is bad based just on the fact that Stroutstrup is the author and nothing more.

My statement is based on numerous responses of beginners and in my own opinion because I read this book. It is very difficult for beginners to read this book. It is not a book on C++ . It is a book about C++.
My statement is based on numerous responses of beginners

Where are they?

It is not a book on C++ . It is a book about C++.

It's a book about programming. And since programming is best introduced when also accompanied by introduction to a programming medium (i.e. a programming language), it's also a book about C++.

BTW, I think you wanted to say:

It is a book ('written') on C++. It is not a book about C++.
Last edited on
I read it. The OP requests help with books about C++. So?

BTW, you forgot to list your numerous beginner responses.
Last edited on
Vlad,

The OP asked about that book and was given a qualified response

"but the former assumes no previous programming experience and it's one of the best places to start learning C++."

The OP has not given enough detail about where he is with his programming knowledge to say any more.
lots of discussion here...
@ vlad

with all my respect for you:
this forum was made so that coders can help each other, not say that others are stupid and idiots, please speak with respect to other people.
Pages: 12