OpenGL Resources

closed account (N36fSL3A)
Alright, so I'm working on a historical game project, at the time of the Napoleonic Wars. It's going to be similar to Mount and Blade Napoleonic Wars but more focused on historical accuracy.

I'm OK with the concepts so far, I have a .pdf of "Beginning OpenGL Game Programming". I have an .obj loader and soon a custom 3d model format loader. I also have a texture loader thanks to cire.

One problem is a particle system. I can't seem to find any good resources for one, besides that pdf, but that's kinda outdated, and uses C libraries for whatever reason. I'm only going to use the particle engine for musket shot effects and weather, but that's about it.

Another problem is I don't know how to add any reflections, or tutorials on water effects.

I was hoping someone could point me to a good resource. Thanks in advance.
Last edited on
It seems that you are interested in texture mapping, shaders and lighting. Be aware that typically, shaders and lighting are advanced topics in the OpenGL realm. Unfortunately, I don't have any resources concerning lighting at this time (there are a lot out there, though!). I can, however, recommend you google "OpenGL shaders" or "GLSL" to learn about the OpenGL Shader Language, and how its explicit use flows in the OpenGL pipeline.

Here's one neat way of experimenting with GLSL. Your browser needs to support WebGL if I recall correctly:
http://glsl.heroku.com/

This archive allows you to look at and modify shaders contributed by others.

EDIT albeit, texture mapping can get complex as well.
Last edited on
So how long do you think I'd take for me to get something useable in my program?
I really can't say. My guess is that it would depend on how ambitious you are.
I see. But is there *ANY* way I can do this without shaders?
Modern OpenGL uses shaders. That's just how it works now. Get used to it.

They're really not that hard. And they give you extremely fast pixel-level control of the generated image.
Okay. So how would I use 2.0 shaders?

I'd like to pass it by char*.
shaders have to be compiled and linked, kind of like C/C++ programs.

I can direct you to this tutorial here, which is quite awesome:

http://www.arcsynthesis.org/gltut/

It introduces you to shaders right away (ie: from the first tutorial which actually has code).
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.