Learning progress & speed

closed account (930jE3v7)
Hello. I know some basics of Java, .HTML, C# and C++. I wish to learn some C++ and I am still learning the basics. I was wondering about WHEN I would actually get to do stuff with graphics, because I kind of find textbased stuff boring/dull. Also, I am quite busy due to college..

I would like to know how much I could learn if I studied an hour a day for a month, and would I be ready to do stuff with graphical stuff, or like... Learn some basic graphical stuff, such as making a Super Mario platformer.
If you know of a book that focuses on graphical game programming, I would be pleased to know the name ^^

I hope to become part of this community and contribute to it!

Sincerely
SubtleNinja
To be able to do really interesting stuff, first you must learn the basics and then have a solid foundation to build your knowledge upon. As an example, say you fancy being a F1 racing driver, first you need to learn how to drive!
Let make some arithmetic calculations. Let assume that you decided to read some book on programming. It is unimportant whether it is a book on C++, C# or graphics. At present in average such books have about 750 pages.
If you will spend an hour a day then you can read about 10 pages per day. So to read the book you need about two and a halve months.
After reading the book you will get some basic knowledge on the subject. To simply read one book is not enough. Usually one book does not contain all information you need. Beside this you need to write some programs.
So in my opinion you need no less than one year that to have basic knowledge on the subject.
Last edited on
> I would like to know how much I could learn if I studied an hour a day for a month, and would I be ready to do stuff with graphical stuff

You would certainly be ready to start with graphical stuff within a month.

Even for the professional programmer, it is impossible to first learn a whole programming language and then try to use it. A programming language is learned in part by trying out its facilities for small examples. Consequently, we always learn a language by mastering a series of subsets. The real question is not ‘‘Should I learn a subset first?’’ but ‘‘Which subset should I learn first?’’ - Stroustrup

By the end of the first day you would be able to write your first 'hello world' program.

Learn just enough of that subset of the language that is required to write your first graphics program, and you are started on the way to learning graphics programming.

For instance, to use dinosaurs like MFC or Qt, you just need to learn the basics of the 'Java with a college education' subset of C++.
Last edited on
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
When I started learning C++, I did some rather advanced things on subjects I didn't really understand. While I wasn't successful on my original reason to learn C++, it was a fantastic learning experience.

My favorite method of learning is split currently. It's either in the form of a book that teaches you gradually and linearly, or in the form of setting a goal and researching the subjects needed to acquire that goal.

I find the book method to be more "correct" when it comes to the final result of what you're wanting. The latter method is faster.

Nothing is truly limiting you to text-based projects. You can start on graphics as long as you're confident in your ability to learn.
closed account (930jE3v7)
Thanks for the great answers everyone!
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.