Programming for DOS

Almost for 30 years I created most of my programs using (Turbo) Pascal. I have thought about switching to C quite often but now I have a good reason to do so: my two sons have to learn C at school. So daddy cannot stay behind :)

But a lot of my programs have to run under DOS. I mean real DOS, like MS-DOS 6.2 and the real DOS of Windows 98. Thus not a DOS box under, for example, Windows XP. So I am looking for a compiler, preferable an IDE, that can run from an USB stick under Windows 7 64 bit.

Codeblocks can but its EXEs won't run under DOS. Same for Borland's Turbo C for Windows 4.5. (unless I missed a setting)
Borland C++ 3.1 generates the right EXEs but won't run in W7-64.

Any advice is welcome, many thanks in advance!

FYI, two projects where I need it:

Kind regards, Ruud Baltissen
Hi Mr. Baltissen,

Unfortunately I don't have any experience developing for DOS myself, but I found some resources online which may interest you:

Hope that helps.

All the best,
Hello NwN,

Thank you for your reply. I have djgpp as well but forgot about it. I don't know if it has an IDE but that can be overcome: I develop it in Borland C and compile it with djgpp at the end :)

Kind regards, Ruud
Using one operating system (for example Windows) to build software for a completely different operating system (such as DOS) is always messy.

First I would suggest that you stop developing for DOS.
Then you could simply use an excellent IDE such as Pelles C, for Windows.

Otherwise, my second suggestion would be to develop for DOS from inside another DOS.
A "modern" version that is open-source is FreeDOS:
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.