How To Become a Professional c++ Programmer

Pages: 12
Scientific number-crunching?
what does it mean?

Well I have always wanted to create my own os with a Large collection of apps for pcs and mobiles

what will be the choice of languages for such a desire
MikeyBoy wrote:
Or you do as BHXSpecter does, writing whatever you want, whenever you want, and you hope that you come up with enough things that people want to buy.

My method is the same method every company in the US follows. Every program we swear by today or take for granted today came from guys like me that just made programs hoping people would want to buy them. The only difference between my form and the business form is that I can choose what I want and code it at my leisure while companies will say you have to make X program, it has X amount of parts to it, and you are in charge of coding this part, but you have to have it done by the end of next month (and most of your time, depending on company, can be wasted in meetings and brainstorming sessions to see what has been changed and what has to be added or removed). Jobs require you be extremely self-motivated and task oriented so that you can focus on boring assignments for months at a time.
well for me boring coding is like a oxymoron

even now for timepass i dont play games but practice coding
I think by boring coding people mean scenarios such as this.

"Oh umm hey there. Here is a project with 15 header files, 40 source files and a dozen classes. It won't compile because there are 37 errors. Can you just spend this week going through the code with a debugger until it compiles?"

"Oh and while you're at it, the manager would like you to make the program compatible with Internet Explorer 7, because that's what he (or she) is running and they refuse to upgrade."

bilgramiraza wrote:
well for me boring coding is like a oxymoron

even now for timepass i dont play games but practice coding

Wait until you have done it as long as some of us have and you will realize there is truly such thing as 'boring coding'. Mats is close to accurate, but I was thinking of a friend I have who works in game programming. He wanted to make the tools they used, but instead he is only permitted to work with the guys who work on the AI for the games. AI doesn't interest him at all, and he prefers the tool side of it, editors, plugins, etc. and has told me he is bored everyday he works because he isn't doing what he is interested in programming wise.
I was thinking of a friend I have who works in game programming. He wanted to make the tools they used, but instead he is only permitted to work with the guys who work on the AI for the games. AI doesn't interest him at all, and he prefers the tool side of it, editors, plugins, etc. and has told me he is bored everyday he works because he isn't doing what he is interested in programming wise.

There's a reason they pay programmers a steady salary and benefits. It's because they want them to do stuff they wouldn't do for free.

Not that I would do any of it for free, personally. Programming isn't my hobby. It's a good career to be in, and I'm very glad I've been able to make it my career, but that's all it is, for me.
Last edited on
Does It Have Any Average salary And what benefits we get

What is its scope by 2018
Does It Have Any Average salary And what benefits we get

Well, that all depends on what part of the world you're in, and what the local economic climate is like right now. You should really be asking people in your own local job market.

What is its scope by 2018

How can we possibly know what things will be like in 5 years time? Maybe the world will have come out of the current recession and we'll be in an economic boom, so salaries will be higher than now. Maybe things will go from bad to worse, the recession will deepen, and the job market will be flooded with desperate software developers.
Oh, so you are in it for the money. I don't do anything solely for money, if I did, I'd be a lawyer.
Oh, so you are in it for the money.

Sadly, the bank won't give me the money to buy a house for free, the shops won't give me food for free, and the garage won't give me petrol for free. So earning money is kind of a necessity.

I don't do anything solely for money, if I did, I'd be a lawyer.

There's such a massive excluded middle here (not to mention a gross misrepresentation of what I said) that it's not worth even beginning to address it. And it would be mean of me to spoil that froth of self-righteousness you're enjoying working up.
Last edited on
MikeyBoy wrote:
There's such a massive excluded middle here (not to mention a gross misrepresentation of what I said) that it's not worth even beginning to address it. And it would be mean of me to spoil that froth of self-righteousness you're enjoying working up.

I wasn't talking about you. I was being serious, when I considered college I was told by family to pick a degree that had a stable income base (lawyer or doctor), instead I wanted to get a degree for the thing I loved, programming video games. I've been doing this for 17 years and have done tons of 'jobs' free of charge non of which were programming. If my motivation was a steady income I wouldn't have gone for a game degree as I knew it wasn't a guarantee for a job and instead gone for a law school degree as every person I know that is a law school grad has got a nice job within a month or two of being out of college. I've not worked a paying 9 to 5 job in 6 years and only take paying odd jobs to make ends meet while I program.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 12