print all combinations

i wanted to create a 5, 3 combinations. i know how to calculate to get the number of combinations 5 3 would have(which is ten), but it seem it's a bit harder for me to print those data

can somebody help me please

p.s i'm not suppose to use a library for it, so please don't suggest it
thank you
Let's say you want to print combinations of a,b,c,d,e which are {a,b,c} {a,b,d} {a,b,e} {a,c,d} {a,c,e} {a,d,e} {b,c,d} {b,c,e} {b,d,e} {c,d,e}
Let's generalize it a little, for an N,3 combination. For a combination, the order of elements in a term is not important ({a,b,c} is the same as {c,a,b}), but two elements cannot be repeated. So for simplicity, it is easier to arrange them in alphabetical order
You need to do the following steps:
1. initialize an array char letters[N] with letters[0]='a' and so on
2. loop over the first element of your output. Your index will go from 0 to N-3. Why N-3? because if I would have N-2 the second element must be letters[N-1] (alphabetically increasing) and the third would be letters[N] - out of bounds
3. loop over the second element of your output. Using the same reasoning, you start from the index of the first element + 1, and go up to N-2
4. loop over the third element of your output. This will start from the index of the second element, and will end at N-1
5. Print the combination

for(int i=0; i<N-3; i++)
   for(int j=i+1; j<N-2; j++)
      for(int k=j+1; k<N-1; k++)
         cout<<"{"<<letters[i]<<","<<letters[j]<<","<<letters[k]<<"}\n";

Obviously printing N,p combinations in general would be a little more complicated, but still doable. See http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12991758/creating-all-possible-k-combinations-of-n-items-in-c
Thanks a lot, that actually helped.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.