Bjarne Stroustrup's C++ Books

Hi guys, may I know that what are the differences between the books of "programming principles and practice using c++" and "The C++ Programming Language" ? Both of them written by Bjarne Stroustrup and received a high reputation from the users. Besides, there's an another book which is " C++ Primer".

I have learnt C++ before in my class where mostly I study lecturer's notes and I stopped for a some times. I would like to take my time to study it again on my own. The books mentioned above, which one should I start first?

I appreciate all of your recommendations and opinions, Thanks!

Hi, Thanks for the link given and that's the link that I referred to and chose 3 books. Somehow, I'm just kinda confused, should I take them all or just choose 1 one of them? Thanks
should I take them all or just choose 1 one of them?

choose 1 of them; all of them are good however if i'm just starting out with C++ i wouldn't buy any of these 3 books that you've mentioned, don't get me wrong these books are good but there are far more better books specifically written for the absolute beginners, such as this one right here:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jumping-into-C-Alex-Allain/dp/0988927802

or this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beginning-C-Through-Game-Programming/dp/1435457420
Last edited on
> The books mentioned above, which one should I start first?

Start with 'Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++'.

It is an introductory book, aimed at beginners. But it is different from other books of this kind. This book is really about learning how to program; it uses C++ as the programming language for teaching that.

It focusses on issues that other beginner books tend to eschew, issues that are important in real-life programming. For instance it places a fair amount of emphasis on minimizing the chances of errors (invariants,extensive use of the standard library, RAII) and ways of discovering and mitigating them (debugging and testing).

It expects the beginner who is learning programming to get into the habit of looking at reference documentation on the web, just as programmers do in real life. Most people who hold the view that this is really not a book for beginners, leaves a lot of things unsaid etc. are ones who have failed to realize this.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.