Learn DirectX 9 or DirectX 11 First

I have two books, one is over the basics of direct3d 9 and the other direct3d 11. The direct3d 9 book is written in a slower pace than the other but is a past version of direct3d so should i go straight to direct3d 11 even though the book is written at a faster pace or what?
closed account (N36fSL3A)
Depends on when you want to release your game. If you want to release it now, go for 9 or 10. If you plan on releasing a game far in the future go for 11.
From another post i've decided to go ahead and stick to DX11. But thanks for your post.
closed account (3qX21hU5)
Depends on when you want to release your game. If you want to release it now, go for 9 or 10. If you plan on releasing a game far in the future go for 11.

I fail to see what you mean by this. How is developing with DX11 going to restrict you to releasing a game until later?

The only major restrictions you place on yourself is this.

Can't target windows XP (Though not sure why anyone would wanna keep holding onto XP specially since it is getting dropped). Though this hardly matters because XP is such a little portion of the market now days (I think around 6%).

Can't use Tessellation - I will admit it can be quite hard to resist using it since it provides so many possibilities but you can compensate for this by using geometry shaders (Though they are only available on DX10 but that shouldn't be a problem).

Also considering that he is just beginning the journey of 3D graphics programming it will be a few years at least until he starts to release a game and by then the majority of the gaming population (I'm talking around 80% - 90% probably) will have DX11 compatible hardware (With the new intel and amd chips all new hardware is basically DX11 compatible).

As it stands right now DX11 holds about a 67% market share and DX11 & DX10 combined hold about a 97% market share.

I think the numbers are good for being able to release a DX11 game :).

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/
Last edited on
closed account (N36fSL3A)
I fully understand what you mean by the XP thing.

I'm saying that you shouldn't work with DX11 because only new cards support it (this is actually starting to change...) and it would limit who can use your software.

Again as I said since DX11 cards are getting really cheap this may not be the case anymore.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.