Pointer help

I'm having a problem understanding something with pointers. I was trying to pass a pointer into a function in MSVC-2013, like
char* charptr;
and then calling
myfunct(charptr);
and then inside the function i would set charptr equal to another char ptr, simply like
charptr = anothercharptr;
But this actually caused a compile failure in MSVC, saying charptr is being used without being initialized. in Code::Blocks it just gives buggy output.

I solved this issue by calling the function like
myfunct(&charptr);
and declaring the function like
myfunct(char**);
and then I had to dereference the charptr in the function when assigning it to another ptr, so
*charptr = anothercharptr;

It seems like you should be able to just pass a ptr into a function and change its address to that of another pointer?
My main question is really, what is the value of a pointer? I thought the value of a pointer was just the memory address it contains. But then I had to reference it to pass it into the function.

TL;DR - What is the difference between the value of the char* charptr written as either charptr and &charptr?
Pointers are just like normal variables. Like an int. All the rules for initializing ints... passing them to/from functions, etc... all of that works exactly the same with pointers.

The only difference is that pointers hold an address, rather than an integer.

Simple example:

void func(int foo)
{
    cout << "foo is " << foo << endl;
    foo = 5;
    cout << "foo is now " << foo << endl;
}

int main()
{
    int myvar = 1;
    func( myvar );
    cout << "myvar is " << myvar << endl;
}
foo is 1
foo is now 5
myvar is 1

Here, 'foo' is being passed "by value" to 'func'. That means it is a copy. foo and myvar are two completely independent variables. When myvar is passed to the function, foo is being initialized with the contents of myvar. Like doing this:

int foo = myvar;

Changing foo will not change main's myvar because foo is its own variable.

Pointers are exactly the same.

void func(const char* foo)
{
    cout << "foo is " << foo << endl;
    foo = "5";
    cout << "foo is now " << foo << endl;
}

int main()
{
    const char* myvar = "1";
    func( myvar );
    cout << "myvar is " << myvar << endl;
}
foo is 1
foo is now 5
myvar is 1

Notice how this behaves the exact same way. Changing 'foo' in func does not change 'myvar' in main because they are two entirely separate and independent variables.

The confusion comes from the fact that you can use a pointer's address to access another variable

So what does that mean?

void func(int* foo)
{
    *foo = 5;  // change the data the foo points to
    foo = nullptr;  // change the pointer itself
}

int main()
{
    int var = 1;
    int* ptr = &var;  // ptr points to var

func(ptr); // pass 'ptr' to func

// here...  ptr DID NOT CHANGE.. it is not null, even though
    //   func set ptr to null.  This is because 'ptr' and 'foo' are two different
    //   variables.
    // HOWEVER... 'var' DID change.  var is now 5 instead of 1.  Explanation below.
}

Note that there are two different things we're dealing with with 'foo' here:

1) The pointer itself.
2) The variable that the pointer points to.

Since 'ptr' contains the address of (ie, "points to") 'var'... when it is passed to func, this means 'foo' will also contain the address of 'var'.

When we do this: *foo = 5;, we are not changing our 'foo' variable... instead we are looking at the address foo contains... going to that address in memory, and changing THAT variable.
So since 'foo' points to 'var'... *foo = 5; will change 'var'.

Again note, however, that there is nothing func can do here to change 'ptr' in main. You can do anything with 'foo'... and 'ptr' will remain unaffected.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.