C++ IDE

What's the best free C++ IDE?
I've heard NetBeans should be good, otherwise I've been working in CodeBlocks.
On what platform?
I'm on Windows.
I tried installing NetBeans, though I haven't tried it out yet since I'm having some problems with installing seperate compilers and so on for the C/C++ plugin.
But if you have an IDE you can recommend which is better, I don't mind uninstalling NetBeans
closed account (3hM2Nwbp)
Visual Studio (Express Edition) is free to register. I haven't found any IDEs that even come close in terms of intuitive layout and design. Netbeans would have to be a solid runner-up (if you can finally get a compiler configured to work with it). Visual Studio works out of the box, no configuration headaches required.
Well, it seems like I'll try that out instead!
Thanks a lot
Ok, it turns out that there are different version of Visual Studio..
Express 2013 for Windows and Express 2013 for Windows Desktop, so which one should I use?

Just in case you will need to take a look: http://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/products/visual-studio-express-vs.aspx
Then you wont have to go find the site yourself :)
If you are pogramming for desktop pcs thn any should do.

Aceix.
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
geany and code::blocks are two other great ones. i dont like cb too much but love geany as far as ides go. i also like the sleekness of the qt ide. although if you want to get into android programming you need eclipse i believe with the android sdk and for windows programming visual studios with vc++
closed account (EwCjE3v7)
We all have our opinions but Code::Blocks is the best.
I've worked in Code::Blocks so far (approximately a year, on and off though), and I like the IDE a lot, but I was just wondering if any better existed.
Guess I'll try out Visual Studio and Geany and then see which of three I like the best.

Thanks!
Yes, I'm also using Code::Blocks, but then I found a more sufficient way to program. I use Gvim(a gui vim for windows) and Code::Blocks, actually Gvim could also compile a program, but gdb was difficult to use (for me), so I use Gvim to code the program, and then Code::Block to debug it if any "fancy" thing happens.

PS: The Code::Block's watch window (you can run the program line by line, and in the watch window you could monitor almost any variables' change) is awesome, you should really check it out, it way better than the watch window in Dev C++.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.