OpenGL: VBO and a broken GC

I have recently tried the use of VBO. I just copy pasted the code from this http://antongerdelan.net/opengl/hellotriangle.html

It compiles fine and seems running well. However, I noticed on the taskmanager that the program runs at 50% CPU usage. Its just a simple triangle, nothing else. I was expecting it to be of 0% because all of other programs I created in glfw3 runs on 0% when idle.

I know that V-SYNC in glfw3 is set true by default, but still I add this line of code to ensure glfwSetInterval(GL_TRUE); //sets V-SYNC on but still nothings changed.

After messing with the test_vs.glsl (I think this has nothing to do with the problem):

code I changed:

from

in vec3 vp;

void main ()
    {
        gl_Position = vec4 (vp, 1.0);
    }

to

in vec2 vp;

void main ()
    {
        gl_Position = vec4 (vp, 0, 1.0);
    }

And changed attributes of vertex in .cpp code to 2D.

Running several times the `Hello Triangle` program again, computer stops and hang a bit ---> Then **CRAASSH**. The graphics card is broken! (literally ouch). The computer shutdowns itself, and I try rebooting it again, I got a screen with full of random lines displaying and fail to continue on desktop.

I don't have much of the information about the graphics card but glew says
GeForce 7300 GT/PCI/SSE2/3DNOW!
and running on Windows XP with OpenGL v2.1 support according to glew.

Some of the extensions I added:

-glfwWindowHint(GLFW_SAMPLES, 4);
-glfwWindowHint(GLFW_OPENGL_CORE_PROFILE, 2);
-glewExperimental = GL_TRUE;
-//And I add the prefix ARB to any function related to vbo 

I suspect this is due to lack of OpenGL extensions support check. But, is that so really the problem? Is it the simple program or other? If so, why would they let this to happen?
"Hello Triangle" - OpenGL 4 Up and Running
mr5 wrote:
running on Windows XP with OpenGL v2.1 support

Besides, it's weird if it runs at 50% CPU, as you probably pointed out it's the VSync being disabled.
Check your NVidia control panel, maybe it's forced disabled.

No matter what, do the extensions support check.
It'll tell you if that was the problem.

Also try updating your drivers? You may get support for OpenGL3/OpenGL4.
Last edited on
I think V-Sync is not disabled at all because I'm doing many projects that's using OpenGL + GLFW + GLEW at the same time while I try that test. Maybe something just happened terrible down the core that I'm not aware of. The hardware is literally broken, update is unnecessary. I also cannot find related topic like mine in Google.
Last edited on
Ah, I thought it was a non-destructive thing.
I hope you wasn't using default drivers.
I'd blame your drivers for that - That's what allows/disallows this kind of things.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.