OpenGL GLUT

Hey guys,

I have developed a few basic 2D games in ALLEGRO 5 with c++. ALLEGRO was a beauty.
Now I want to explore the world of OpenGL GLUT.

I want to create a simple 2D side scrolling Platformer game (like mario) using OpenGL GLUT.
I have already spent loads of time on internet. But unlike allegro, I wasn't able to find a simple decent tutorial that can teach me everything I should know about Opengl GLUT.

If you guys know any tutorial , that can be smooth for a beginner. Please let me know of them.

UPDATE:

using FreeGLUT not GLUT. So advice over it :)
Last edited on
First off, don't use GLUT, use FreeGLUT (it's the more modern version of it).

That aside... I don't know of any tutorials really on FreeGLUT... but if you're looking for an OpenGL tutorial, this one is stellar... I recommend it to everyone:

http://www.arcsynthesis.org/gltut/

He also briefly touches on FreeGLUT basics (enough to get a program up and running). So it should be perfect.
Last edited on
It's true, GLUT is ancient.
I know that xoaxdotnet (on youtube) has some beginner friendly GLUT tutorials, so you can check out Disch's recommendation in conjunction with this one, since FreeGLUT is backwards-compatible with GLUT.
But again, GLUT is OK to use for quick prototyping and stuff. Heck, I started with GLUT, but I don't use it anymore, so it's not like you'll be married to it.
Last edited on
Yeah, going with freeGLUT now.

Topic archived. No new replies allowed.