Finished Accelerated C++.. Now what?

After two weeks, I've finally finished my first book, Accelerated C++, for my first language. Now I want to expand on my C++ proficiency. Where should I begin?

So far, I've been dealing with just console codes, so I'm thinking I should learn about GUI's. Although in Accelerated C++ the information presented seemed pretty solid, i felt they were pretty narrow in scope. Being a beginner, I don't really have a full perspective on what Programming IS, and what hte potentials are. So if you could help me with this as well, I'd be grateful.

On that note, I've read around and apparently SICP or Intro to Algorithm is greatly recommended for any beginning programmers. So I might look into those as well. But not being a Computer Science major, I'm not sure if numeric algorithms such as SICP deals with is really going to help me in my programming journey. Of course, it will be useful when I really get into programming but for now, I think I want to create something first.

Ultimately, my real interest in programming is to be able to create and understand networks of different kinds, such as Bittorrent. This meaning, I want to go into socket programming. But I don't want to leap headfirst into it. if there are grounds to cover first, please tell me.

In the end, I want to be a proficient programmer.

Last edited on
http://www.cplusplus.com/faq/beginners/books/

As for socket programming, I highly recommend staying high-level. Trying to use low-level socket code in C++ is like trying to build the universe with all the tools from an auto shop. The tools don't match the job.
Last edited on
> Ultimately, my real interest in programming is to be able to create and understand networks of different kinds ...
> if there are grounds to cover first, please tell me.

Start by understanding the network protocols. That is the first step.

This classic is a stand-out choice:
TCP/IP Illustrated, Vol. 1: The Protocols by Richard Stevens
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0201633469/

There is no better place to start. You can start today, if you want.

EDIT: Hadn't noticed this when I made the post:
> After two weeks, I've finally finished my first book, Accelerated C++ for my first language.

Two weeks, from the time you started reading your first book?

You haven't finished your first book. You are nowhere near having finished it.

Go through the book once again; this time, attempt to do the exercises at the end of each chapter.
If you can do all (or almost all) of them, you have completed (or almost completed) the book.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.