"Flappy Bird"-like game

Hey, I'm new to this forum and Im not sure if this is the right place to ask.
I'm programming a game in C++ that's supposed to be something like the smartphone game "Flappy Bird". You who have played it knows its about avoiding approaching obstacles with gaps in them, with a bird thats constantly moving downwards, and you have to click a button to keep it in the air.
I've figured out how to create the character and all its movements, but now I really cant figure how to make blocks (the obstacles) spawn on the right side of the window, with random height of the gap in them, and to make them move to the left side of the window.
Unfortunately I dont have any code to show, cause I havn't started on that part, but if anyone of you have any ideas it would be reeaaally helpful. Just tell me if you want more information. Thanks!
Hi xorkon, I have a university project due for the 4th of April, and I've decided to do something similar, but with somebody running and jumping hurdles. I don't have any experience making games but I've done a bit of coding in C and C++.

The programming style I have been told to use is object orientated programming and also they suggested to use the graphics library ncurses.

If you've started your game could you give me some pointers to use?
A few backs someone posted their version on sfml forums.

http://en.sfml-dev.org/forums/index.php?topic=14370.0

There should be a link to the source but ifyou can't find its here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/c81dwb4ph1b1y2n/Flappy+Poro+Source.zip
Hi SMH 1. I am new to the forum

I have created a flappy bird game in c++ which can pause and save games. I have also implemented checkpoints and a scoring system with powerups, but I need help with the graphics of the game

I am not good at art and need better birds and better scenery pictures. Any help with the graphics aspect of the program
Last edited on
where do you go to make scenery? i am an alright artist and beginner programmer. i would be glad to help you guys and would love to learn more along the way.
Hi FlappyBird, I've literally just started watching tutorial videos on ncurses. ill post the link, and I've just been told my game concept is too simple so I've decided to make 3 games and implement them into a menu.

so the tutorials I've just watched are 6 videos explaining functions in ncurses and how to use it, also building up to the snake game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg_u60jX8Y4 -- 1st video

btw I'm and absolute noob at programming and im kind of just after a good grade
Last edited on
Hi SMH 1- I know how to use ncurses already, if you need help let me know. I am willing to teach. I understand how hard programming can be at school, I hardly didnt get help

Noob Programmer - If i send you my code, are you going to use it for commercial purposes? I want to make this game and port it to apple and android. But I want to make this the best copy, unlike all the other cheaply made copies
Hi FlappyBird, I've decided to pair up with a friend and make 2 levels of Super Mario, one of being the first level and the other being a boss level. We need some sort of AI so we want the boss to chase Mario. Also our stupid university doesn't allow us to log into the linux lab PC's so we cant use ncurses, so we've decided to use SDL in Visual studios 2012 which absolutely gets on my nerves as it takes for ever to load but ATM we have no choice.

Do you know much about the SDL library? And help in any of the two would be amazing. :)
there are many ports simulating ncurses on windows, for example GNUWin32..Have a look around, I can't recommend since I have not used those.

Yep I have used the SDL library in my game for the audio and keyboard input. Look on google for tutorials they are helpful
Hi
closed account (N36fSL3A)
Do you have a Github repository? Maybe I can donate some code here and there if I get the chance.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.