Iteration strange output

Hey guys, this code works perfectly fine if n is 0 or 1, except for the fact that when it is any higher, at the end of every output is the square of x. This is the function:
int power1(int x, int n){

int i = 0;
    if (n == 0){
        return 1;
        i++;}
    if (n == 1){
        return x;
        i++;}
    else {
        unsigned int temp;
        for (temp = x; n > 1; n--){
            temp *= x;
            i++;
            return temp;
        }
        cout << "# of multi's: " << i << endl;
    }
}

And the output is, for example a base number 5 and exponent 14:
The return statement on line 15 should be after the loop, not in it. You also have a bunch of statements that will never be reached and therefore never executed (lines 6, 9 and 17).

Finally, 514 is too big to fit into an integer (so the result will be incorrect). Try some smaller numbers (55, 104, 36 etc...).
Swap lines 15 and 16.
Oh, sorry. I just put in 14 for emphasis. The suggestion of yours works, and I even moved cout << "# of multi's: " << i << endl; to after the brace in line 18, but I still can't get it to print the number of multiplications done in the process. Any suggestions?
You need to move the cout statement to somewhere before the return statement (but also after the loop).
Remember that when you return from a function, nothing else happens in that function. Program control returns to where the function was called.

So return temp; must come after cout << stuff; if you want to see that stuff.

Hope this helps.
Yeah I changed it to what you guys said, and the output comes out fine, but is there not a way to make the calculated answer come first and then the number of multiplications?
What is a power? ab is a multiplied by itself b times. So, 34 = 3 * 3 * 3 * 3. Now, your code would say that the# of multiplications is 3 (in the example, count the number of asterisks/ multiplication operators). So, if that is your desired output, simply print the exponent minus 1:

Note that the first output is the one that you have inside of the power1 function
b = 3;
p = 4;
result = power1(b, p);
cout<< result<< '\n';
cout<< "mults: "<< (p-1)<< '\n';
# of mult's: 3
mults: 3

No need to count the number of multiplications when we can easily calculate it :D
Well that works lol. The program runs just like I'd want it to now. Thanks a bunch for all the help!
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.