What to learn next?

I've been learning c++ for about a year now. I went through tutorials on this website and on learncpp dot com. I've done lots of exercises (the most important one could be the "graduation" exercise, the bunny related one, which I found on this forum). I am a first year student of computer science and engineering,but I feel that I am one step beyond the things we learn at university. Anyway, my question is what to do next? Should I start learning Qt (I heard there are some nice tutorials on yt), or some other GUI creator,or maybe something else completely ?

Thank you in advance.
Try to write a program that does something. As you discover things you need to do, you'll have better insite into the technologies used to build those things.
what should I try to make, can you give me some ideas?
I dunno. What area of computing are you interested in?
Thats a tough question. I have no specific areas of programming that I want to do more than others in this moment. Let say that I want to work on games programming and mobile programming. Is that a sufficient answer?
I learn Qt while learning c++, it's really easy! Also you can start learning about windows specific functions if you wish, like pretty much everything included in <windows.h> or the system function(even if you shouldn't use it).

This function is meant to use batch, a windows-specific language so you can do pretty much what you want with Windows ( eg temporarly change path: set PATH = %PATH%;C:/SomethingElse/).

So yeah the problem is that I don't know if it will be really useful to you later :/
For me, I kind of set myself up a plan. First C++ mechanics (all the beginning stuff and such), then Windows (currently on that now), then network programming, then game development, then... well... I havent thought THAT far... But you get the point. If you want to do game development, I would go with directx sdk, or Unity. I learned a bit of Unity, and I decided to wait a while before I go into serious stuff with that. I also know a bit of Qt, like Paul Combaldieu. Qt is really easy, but know that I know a bunch of windows mechanics, Qt makes a lot more sense to me because I kinda know where it all comes from.
Let say that I want to work on games programming and mobile programming. Is that a sufficient answer?
Yes. The main thing is to do something you're interested in.

It won't always naturally fit your language of choice, that's ok. The main thing is do be able to do stuff that you will appreciate to begin with.
I would definitely start learning some GUI programming. That seems like the next logical step after learning C++ and console programs.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.