Help with saving a text file?

So, I am making a program with just a big text edit box in the middle. A word processor, really. I have it where you can change font and everything, but how would I make it where the user can save the file so they can go back to it? I tried saving the content of the edit box and placing it into a .txt file, and then opening the text file when the program is opened again, reading from it, and placing it in the edit box. That is not working for me.

PS: I am using Qt 5.2.0
This looks like a notepad.
You can read the "Save and Loading" piece from this link: http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-4.8/gettingstartedqt.html
Yeah, it is a notepad. I am just making a little glorified notepad program, just to learn all of the typing functions and what not, such as fonts and saving stuff. Really just saving, because I am not experienced enough to make anything that saves other than a word processor.

And, I appreciate that link, I really do, but I plan on moving on from Qt in a while. I started to learn winapi stuff, but after I learned basic threading stuff I am taking a break from it, just so I don't overwhelm myself. Anyway, how does saving stuff work? Do you do something similar to the Qt thing, like, an fstream function, or maybe there is a windows function for it?
Uhh... You should post it on Windows Programming.
Ok. Well, just thought I would ask since this was already a post about saving.
Well, you haven't said: GUI save or "console" save (no GUI but you don't even need the console)? WinAPI saves are kinda complicated; WinAPI is complicated.
Oh, ha, yeah. WinAPI is so complicated that I had to go do Qt to get a break from it, but still feel like I am making progress. But I meant, like, bring up a GUI, like every other application, and like, find a file and save the project or whatever.
You can also create a text file using any other word processing software program, like Microsoft Word or Wordpad. When saving the file, change the file name or file type to Plain Text to save it as a text file. In many of these programs, you'll also have the option to save the file as a Rich-Text Format.
Save As option
After the file has been created and saved it can also be edited using Notepad or another word processing software program.
yeah I made a word processor in qt after iQChange sent that link. That was really helpful by the way :) Qt's reference thing is a bit, crowded for me
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.