Dynamic array resize function problems

NOTE: I am aware that it would be easier to just use the STL Vector, however, for a programming class that I'm in, we are required to write our own dynamic array template class because our professor apparently enjoys making us reinvent the wheel.

Anyway, I made a resize function for my dynamic array template class that goes as follows. Note that the private member variables are T* arr, unsigned used, and unsigned cap.
template <class T>
void darray<T>::resize(unsigned size)
{
	if (size > cap)
	{
		T* temp_arr = new T[size];

for (int count = 0; count < cap; ++count)
			temp_arr[count] = arr[count];

for (int count = cap; count < size; ++count)
			temp_arr[count] = T();

delete []arr;
		arr = temp_arr;
		cap = size;
		used = size;
	}

if (size < cap)
	{
		used = size;
	}
}

Whenever I use this function to increase the size of the array, it will work the first time I need to use it, but after that, Visual Studios will trigger a breakpoint at line 14, and if I continue past the breaks, I eventually get _CrtIsValidHeapPointer(pUserData) assertion failure. What is causing this, and how can I fix it?
One issue here with the correctness of the code. One should not copy cap elements to the newly allocated array. One should, instead, copy used elements.

I don't see anything here that would cause your problem. I suspect the offending code doesn't reside in this function.
The only other thing that uses the private members of the the class in the code that I'm using to test is a a simple push member function that calls resize when used is > cap, so I'm not sure what it could be...
I found the issue. My problem was that I was setting used = size, which defeats the point of the resize if I'm just going to need to need resize again after I use push_back.
I see. So the push_back probably used the used variable to write to a location beyond the bounds of the array.

The convention followed by std::vector is that the amount returned by size (analogous to your used member) after a resize is increased.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.