Pointer value seems to be affected by value preceding it

Hey everyone!

I normally don't cross-post, but I would really like to see this issue fixed and I feel like my StackOverflow question isn't really getting anywhere. Here's my problem:

In my current workflow I am exporting a 3D model along with various information (vertex colors, UV coordinates e.g.) from Blender through Python. This is stored in a binary file which can be read in C++.

Consider the following code:

Python:
ar = [0, 1, 2, 3, 4]
with open('model.bin', 'wb') as file:
    file.write(struct.pack('%si' & len(ar), *ar))

C++:
u32* ar = (u32*) model_bin; //model_bin is already declared externally
for(int i=0; i<5; i++){
    printf("%d\n", ar[i]);
}

This works! However, my file contains more than just one list of data. It contains a lot of data of different types. I keep track of this with the help of different pointers at the start of each new "element". I.e.:

rgb* vcols = (rgb*) model_bin;
u32* uvco = (u32*) ((char*) vcols + 2*numVcols)

Here is the full "stack": http://www.pasteall.org/51026/c

Right now, everything checks out, except for the first value of my UV textures. Setting it to 0 in my export script makes my C++ application read it as -566558720.

If I export and read the UV coordinate numbers as shorts however, everything works fine.

But it gets better! When I set the value of my last vcol[] element to 0, I can read the written int just fine! Setting the final vcol to 1 makes the first uvco read out as 65578.

I realize this is very tricky to debug without seeing the actual code and such, but perhaps someone can lend me some insights or suggestions based on this information?

Thanks,
Patrick
Last edited on
I wonder if it is an alignment problem. Try to file.flush() after writing anything packed.

Wild guess here.
Thanks for the suggestion, but no dice I'm afraid. =(
> In my current workflow I am exporting a 3D model along with various information
> (vertex colors, UV coordinates e.g.) from Blender through Python.
> This is stored in a binary file which can be read in C++.

How big is the size of this data set? Have you considered exporting the data as plain text?
I'm using the data in a Nintendo DS library where I only have 4MB memory to work with. Doing it this way is nice and compact, and allows me to read straight from the specified pointers. =) So yes, I have considered it, but it's not very practical in this scenario.

EDIT: And it's fixed! There was an error with the data alignment. =) Thanks for the help!
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.