Need help in visualizing the hierarchy...

Please read my problem. I am not asking for code.

I have been given a HW to write code for a payroll system. The base class would be Employee. There are four types of employees.

1 - Salaried (fixed salary, no matter the hours)
2 - Hourly (overtime [>40 hours] pays time and half)
3 - Commissioned (paid percentage of sales)
4 - Base-plus-commissioned (base salary + percentage of sales)

Also add a private data member birthDate (a Date object) and departmentCode, an int to class Employee.

Here is where I need help..

1 - Is the following hierarchy that I'm visualizing right? Or is a change needed?

Here is the link: http://s28.postimg.org/qhy2i7bu5/Hierarchy.png

2 - In hourly, what does in round brackets mean? What is meant by "pays time and half"?

3 - In base-plus-commissioned, is it required to take "base salary" from user or I just get salary from the salaried employee?

I'll appreciate if anyone shares his/her thoughts.
1. Base-plus-commissioned is also a Salaried.

2. Every hour worked after 40 hours counts as 80 minutes when calculating pay. I.e. overtime_pay = (hours - 40) * 3 * pay / 2.

3. I don't understand the question.
@helios

1 - You mean "Base-plus-commissioned" comes under "Salaried" instead of "Commissioned"? But how, I mean I have checked another almost same type of program hierarchy from Deital's C++ How to Program 8/e and they have "Base-plus-commissioned" under "Commissioned"!?

2 - Thanks a bunch!

3 - Forget this one. :D

Please reply for the first.
Last edited on
You mean "Base-plus-commissioned" comes under "Salaried" instead of "Commissioned"?
I mean it comes under both.

If all operations that can be performed on an instance of type A can also be performed on an instance of type B, then B can be made a subtype of A.

* The pay of a Salaried employee does not depend on hours worked.
* The pay of a Base-plus-commissioned does not depend on hours worked.
* The pay of a Commissioned employee depends on sales made.
* The pay of a Base-plus-commissioned employee depends on sales made.
Oh! Ok, Thanks.. And it solves my third question.
Last edited on
BTW is the date class in the right place?
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.