3d programming

I am an intermediate c++ programmer that does text based games. I don't want to keep making text based games, i want to move onto 3d games.
The only problem is that i don't know how. I searched online but couldn't find anything.
By the way, i want to use Microsoft visual studio 2013 for this. But if there is a better IDE then I can go with that.

Update:
It would also be nice if there was a book on how to do 2d/3d c++ programming
Last edited on
You should focus on making 2D games before 3D; once you feel you want to go 3D, then you may even be able to use your 2D library for windowing and input, and image loading. I'd say pick a library 2D media library (SDL2 or SFML 2.1), and start making games with it (I personally prefer SDL2, but SFML 2.1 is great too). After you master one (or both), then try to grasp 3D Game Programming.

Your IDE is fine (I think it's the best), in fact, I have it open right now, and I'm developing a game.
Last edited on
You have to move through the ladder. If you have only done text based games then you need to move to 2D games and get used to making them then go to 3D games.

http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_/technical/game-programming/your-first-step-to-game-development-starts-here-r2976

Gives a good list of games to clone for 2D games before moving to 3D. Concepts you learn in 2D games carry over into 3D so it is worth the effort to not skip 2D games.
Last edited on
I totally agree about starting with 2D games. One of the things about 3D is that imo you need to start using meshes which adds all that more work to the project. Not so much in handling them, but in creating or acquiring them.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.