Diablo 1/2 source code

Just wondering if anyone might know where I could download source code for either of these games. I did a search on google for a bit but all I was able to find is one website that insisted I either pay them or upload them a bunch of source code in order to download anything and open source diablo clones(modded versions of the game).

I want the original source code so I can give it a look over. I'm just in the beginner stages of programing C++ so I'm nowhere near where I need to be in order to do a lot with the code but A: It would be good to see the C/C++ code of a game that I know so much about to give me a good idea of what the end result looks like for game code. B: If learning C++ works out for me I would consider trying to port D1 or 2 to the Ipad(for the record I already know that this project would require learning another type of code.. or 2). "B" may be a bit of a pipe dream but I'd love to do such a thing if it was possible.
On a side note I just did a search to confirm it and both of these games actually had mac versions so if I was ever to go through with "B" then I'd imagine that it'd be much easier to port the mac version of the game.

I know that I must seem like a stupid newbie that's out of my league but if anyone knows where I could get the source code for either of these games(in PC or mac versions), I'd appreciate the info.
The Diablo series is entirely proprietry, and their source code was never released, as far as I know. If some website says they have it, either it wasn't the original Diablo or they have it illegally (if they have it at all). In any case, it wouldn't have been written in standard C++, due to the standard not being defined until 1998 and the Diablo I and II starting development before then.
https://github.com/wheybags/freeablo

Is an modern, open-source re-implementation. I'm almost certain you'll learn better practices from studying that code in contrast to the original anyways.
Legalities don't phase me much. It's not like I plan to take the code remake the game and sell it. I just want to study over it.

I seen freeablo but again that's a clone/mod isn't it?
Its not whether or not YOU are phased about legalities - its the fact that anyone distributing their code should be. They could be sued for quite a lot of money. Also, even if you just want to study over it, its their intellectual property that you are getting ideas off.

Then again, as we already mentioned, those games are so old that not only would the programming practices be highly outdated and not necessarily relevant in a modern-day context, but that the language used will probably not compile on any modern compiler, making it doubly bad to study from. At least with freeablo it is being developed for a modern-day compiler, and you will probably learn much more from it than from the original 'proper' Diablo games.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.