Difference between Bjarne Stroustrup's Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++ 1st and 2nd edition

Hello! For a class that's starting this fall I was informed that I should purchase Bjarne Stroustrup's Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++. Although in the store I notice that it exists both a 1st and 2nd edition. And my question is then, can anyone with experience of both the 1st and 2nd edition inform me if I might as well can buy the 2nd edition or if I should buy the 1st one?

Thanks!
When in doubt, get the most recent edition.

Later editions are usually just corrections and updates to include newer things in the language.

EDIT: although if this is for a class... get whatever edition your class tells you to. You don't want to go in with the wrong book.
Last edited on
Oh, I understand! I took a gamble and bought the newer book, the table of content looked almost the same on both of them. The newer edition had just added iterators and other c++11 stuff, so I guess it'll be fine!

Thanks for your help!
I've been using that book to study C++ and I can tell you that from what I've read so far, (120ish pages) it's a solid introduction to the language. The exercises are thought provoking and challenging for a beginner, but not too challenging if you pay close attention to the explanations and example code provided in each chapter.

From what I have read so far, I can definitely recommend the book to someone looking to learn the language from scratch. Anyway, good luck with the book fellow learner.

*Victory screech!*
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.