Help with downloading OpenGL?

So, I am trying to learn OpenGL for game development, and I cannot find a download anywhere. I know that Windows SDK comes with gl/GL.h and gl/GLU.h, but I am pretty sure there are more than just that. According to this tutorial:
http://3dgep.com/introduction-to-opengl/
There is also gl/GLUT. Anybody know any where to download it?
Use SFML, SDL or an existing game engine.
I can't get SFML or SDL to work. I have invested to much of my time into them. I know Qt has an OpenGL library, but I don't think it is the same as just regular OpenGL.
OpenGL implementations come from vendors. You have to download their drivers to use the implementation, as Windows refuses to include them with their update center.
Well, I found GLFW:
http://www.glfw.org/documentation.html

This seems to be pretty much what I need.
I am just having trouble building it with Cmake.
Also, don't use GLU. It's been deprecated forever. Use GLM or write your own functions to handle matrices.

GLUT is a third-party library used to handle context and windowing. You don't need GLUT.
GL cannot be used by itself. You need a window and something to create the GL context. For Windows, that would be WGL(for context creation) and WinAPI (for window creation). However, you hardly ever want to use WGL/WinAPI directly in these situations (seriously... I have nightmares), so you'll want to use SDL or GLFW to do that for you in a simple API.

If you're only issue is CMake, forget Cmake for now and try just getting a working build.
Last edited on
Well, I cannot use GLFW without building it first, so I am gonna figure that out. Thanks for all the advice, though!
Well, here is a problem I have run into:

I can't really figure out how to build GLFW. I don't really know how to build any external library, really. Any help?
It depends on the project. For Windows, GLFW provides binaries... no need to compile them. You just need to tell your compiler where to find the headers and your linker where to find the stubs (or static libraries).
I got it (I am pretty sure)! When I built it last night it worked, although I only used one of the header files. But I didn't download the binaries, just the library. Got it working now!
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.