Monthly/yearly Appointment calendar

I have been looking for *with no success) a calendar library for C++. I am in the process of making an appointment scheduler basically as doctors or anyone in say the healthcare profession and many others would use to schedule appointments. This seems like something that would be widely used, but i cannot seem to find a C++ library for it. If there isn't one could someone guide me into how to go about writing one? I'm not looking for someone to write code just for ideas on where to start! I am wanting to write it in C++ for the speed bonuses of the compiled language. Thanks for any input!
If you want to find examples of what people looking for that kind of software would use, you should look for an application, not a programming library. I mean, if you want to find a compose a document, you look for a word processor not a word processing library for a programming language, right?

In any case, there is no standard library feature that will do what you want out of the box. It's possible there are some other libraries that could help with what you want to do (date management, GUI stuff, etc.), but you'll probably need to consider how to break down what you want to have your application accomplish and look for tools to help you accomplish those pieces rather than one library handle it all.
The only thing i was looking for the library to handle is the days of the month. Say i create three "appointment" objects in one "day" object. I have built a partial class to manage the appts, but was looking for ways to put multiple appts in a "day" within say the hours of 8 AM to 5 PM. Then days in a week or month. eventually to use a gui but i'm wanting to do all of that myself was just looking for a push in the right direction to create a monthly calendar.

Basically looking for a way to manage days of the month, what day of the week they fall on.
Last edited on
Your use case seems rather specific. I don't think you'll find a library that implements "day" objects with "times" that refer to some other "appointment" object. However, you could make something yourself and (from my admittedly short consideration) it doesn't seem that complicated.

The implementation I just thought of (and probably is not anywhere near ideal) might have a map from dates or times (stored as whatever you like; timestamps, strings, whatever will do) to the appointment at that time.
What i had thought to do (probably even less ideal) was to make a "day" class and store say 15 or 30 minute appts in possibly a vector. Start them as blank appts and then as you set an appt you can overwrite the already placed appts and do as many as the duration of the appt may be ( 30 minutes an hour or whatever interval chosen). Do you have a suggestion of a better way to store the appts inside the day class with an easy way to not overlap appts?
Maybe you could just have each day be represented by a sequence of appointment objects, each of which have the start and end times as part of the appointment object. Whenever you try to add a new appointment to the day, check the sequence to make sure the new appointment's time range doesn't overlap with any existing appointment.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.