how to output from a .txt file

So I have a .txt file with, Name >> Username >> password >> adminstatus.

It is filled with various names. for e.g.

Bob bobby bob123 1
tim timmy tim123 1
rit ritty rit123 0
john johnny john123 0
mary maryy mary123 mary 1

1 will represent admin in the program and 0 will represent a normal user. I want to make part of the program do something like this. > If adminstatus = 1, discount rate =3%. The thing is I will be using UDF to do so and I am unsure of how I am going to read for each user. What I mean by this is. If tim logins, how do I read ONLY tims line's admin status.

Currently I have a Login UDF. for that UDF I return something I named Loginstatus. If the login status = 1 . It will run the current problem that I'm trying to solve which is displaying the user adminstatus's discount rate. So how am I suppose to display the line of the user that logged in.

here is the simplified explaination of my program.

The user will login ( the program will see if everything matches up[username/password] then return loginstatus =1 if the user login succesfully) Once the user logs in the program will bring up a menu which will have 2 options. 1. it will let the user check it's current discount rate. 2. quit.

Hi
You need to basically parse the string that is read from the text file.

after every newline ('\n'), do

char[]ch;
int admin_status;
sscanf("%s %d",ch,admin_status)

This should give you a basic idea of how to approach the problem.

Chandra
Is there a simpler way of doing it? I know your method is fairly short but i want to use a more "beginner" method doing it. I dont mind if it takes longer.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.