How can I approach a problem?

Hi, I've been learning c++ for some time, I'm familiar with the synatx and that stuff. But I find it really difficult to start writting a program from scracth because i don't know where to begin! I know I'm not supposed to start codding without thinking about what I'm going to do, but I don't know how to plan my project and organize my thoughts.

I read something about writting algorithms(pseudocode and then translating) and about bottom-up and top-down design(I think it's someway related to my problem) but i still cannot figure out how to start.

For example, I want to write a programm to find out the roots of a polynomial, I broke that idea into smaller pieces of problems(like, "get the grade of the polynomial", and stuff like that) but i get stuck anyway. I don't excpect you to help me with that specific problem, but to tell me where to begin, some books related to this. That would be very helpful. Thanks in advance
Well, no method exists to solve polynomials of degree 5 and up, so no wonder you got stuck.

Besides breaking down a problem into smaller problems, you also need to decide what the inputs for your problems are. For example, the problem of figuring out the degree of a polynomial:
unsigned get_degree(/*???*/){
    //???
}
Kinda hard to complete without knowing how polynomials will be represented.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.