Want to create a game (correctly).

I'm learning C++ on my own and taking a class at my university for C. I want to create one of two games, a smaller version of "RuneScape Classic" or my own variation of Zelda/Pokemon (2D). Most people advise you not to start on larger projects such as those, but I learn so much more by actually doing than just reading about it.

I bought and read a textbook on C++ when I was in high school but that didn't help me much as I soon forgot things from the previous chapter. More recently though, I've been practicing what I know by making text games and it's more enjoyable, plus I learn it easier(not so much faster).

So, my main question is can I start on one of these projects now or should I make smaller games and gradually work towards one of these? (On a side note, I struggle adding libraries to Visual C++ as I hadn't often used it until recently, what is the best one for me to use?) Any replies are appreciated :)
You should probably familiarize yourself with the differences between idiomatic C and C++, they're completely different.

Once you understand the differences, write a few simple games, and create a topic here asking C++ programmers to review your code. If your code is good, then continue to make larger games. If not, refactor your code and ask again.

Eventually you will be proficient in idiomatic C++, and you will learn game programming.
Okay, than you for the reply. I'll start small and work my way up :)
The problem with starting on either of those two projects are you'll want to re-program them every few months when learning better ways, start by working on a smaller portion to perfection independently and then combine them. Such as an inventory system. Jumping straight into the graphics and hardcoding every element is not a good idea.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.