Initializing via Constructor vs. some other function

Hey all I wanted to get your some of your opinions on this. Let's say for example you're writing a framework for something(it doesn't matter what). Do you think that it's better to have EVERYTHING done and over with in the constructor or to have another function do it? I'm specifically not saying initializer function because say for example in the aforementioned framework example that there was a class to create a rendering window. And for this example it would be using the Windows API so we need a class name, window name, x, y, w, h, style, etc. Should all this be taken care(window actually created) inside the constructor or do you feel that a separate CreateWindow function should be in place? What degree of control should the end-user have over the framework? The constructor route leaves very little customization left to the user in my opinion. However with the function route, the class can be constructed and then it is up to the user to decide when get window is actually created. So what are your guys' opinions?
Do you think that it's better to have EVERYTHING done and over with in the constructor or to have another function do it?
It depends on what you're doing. MFC uses what they call two stage construction, the constructor initialises the object, and a Create() function starts sending the relevant messages. I think that's a legitimate way to do things when the underlying mechanisms require coupling of some kind.
My $0.02:

Of course, as kbw pointed out... is depends on what you're doing. Though I tend to prefer "constructor does all the necessary prep work" because, after all, that's kind of what the constructor is for.

What's the point in having an uninitialized object? How is it beneficial?

IMO it makes code more complicated. IE, if the object is uninitialized, all of its members are going to have to fail somehow. To fail safely, each member is going to have to check to make sure the object is initialized before doing its actual work.

Whereas if the constructor does the initialization, and there is no "bad state"... then each member can safely assume the state of the object.

It also creates more error prone code. What if I create an object and forget to initialize it? That kind of defeats half the point of RAII.

It also makes less intuitive code. If I have a 'Window' object, I expect it to represent a window. Yet if I have to initialize it separately, it does not represent a window until I actually initialize it.

Conversely, take a look at std::thread. A thread object is a thread. When you create the object, you create the thread. When the object is destroyed, so is the thread. The two are one and the same. Conceptually it just makes so much more sense.

The constructor route leaves very little customization left to the user in my opinion.

How so? What can the user do with a separate 'Create' function that they can't just do with the constructor?

However with the function route, the class can be constructed and then it is up to the user to decide when get window is actually created.

Well... constructing the class is creating the window. If you don't want the window to be created, then don't construct the class. Why would you ever want to do one and not the other?
I should of been more specific in that example, constructing the class would simply register the window class and the Create function would create the window with desired attributes.

But yes I agree with you on the fact that why have an uninitialized state of the object. I just wanted to get some clarification. I probably should of structured the question better but thank you both.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.