What sets C++ apart from other languages, technically speaking?

Hi there. I've been programming with C++ for almost two years now, and I'd consider myself quite fluent in it, even if I still have tonnes more to learn. I've always been asking myself, what's at the core of this programming language, and hence what separates each programming language from each other on a technical level? The only difference I can see between (for example) C++ and Java is that the commands are different, but I'm sure that there's a much deeper, difference at the core of these two languages.

My question is: what makes C++ stand out from other languages on a technical level, and how does this benefit or handicap a programmer working with C++ when compared to programmers working with other languages.

Feel free to get as nitty gritty as needs be, I'm really excited to see what's at the core of C++. With that in mind, be sure to explain any advanced jargon you use, in order to aid any newcomers to the language who stumble upon this thread.
The only difference I can see between (for example) C++ and Java is that the commands are different, but I'm sure that there's a much deeper, difference at the core of these two languages.
Java is garbage collected language, C++ is not. Java is run on virtual machine, C++ compiles into native code. Java passes everything by value, but it passes references to object (by value) instead of object themselves (This is often surprising for those who comes from C++). And a whole load of other differences between them.
The only common things between C++ and Java is that both uses C-like syntax.

My question is: what makes C++ stand out from other languages on a technical level
Depends on language you are comparing it with.

how does this benefit or handicap a programmer working with C++ when compared to programmers working with other languages.
C++ is usually closer to the hardware than every other language (sans assembly) and allows to get maximum from the hardware. But it is not as safe and you need to control yourself: language will gleefully allow to do something extremely stupid and will leave you to handle mess you created yourself.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.