Is there any code editor, like Notepad++, but with more features?

Pages: 12
closed account (N7ozwA7f)
I don't like IDEs much, but I miss some of the features they have, so, I'd like to know if there is a code editor, pretty much like Notepad++, but with a debugger, and an error detector that shows you where there is a syntax error, or where you forgot to initialize variables and things like that?
Have you looked into plugins for Notepad++?

Also, where do you draw the line between IDE and not-an-IDE? Because for me, those features you want would make it an IDE.
Well, IDEs usually have compilers, class browsers and creation wizards.
What do you think "an error detector that shows you where there is a syntax error" is?
That's intellisense that does that.
http://cppcheck.sourceforge.net/ apparently doesn't.

Perhaps http://flymake.sourceforge.net/

(Those obviously are not editors, but GNU Emacs is -- somewhere on that alluding line.)
As I said it depends on where/how you draw the line. For me, IDE intellisense is a rough compiler even though it doesn't actually produce a binary. I know it's not exactly proper use of the words.
Well, when I make a C++ application on NetBeans, for example, it creates several files and folders. That is what I don't like very much. I only want files that I've created myself.
I have used NetBeans and have not experienced that particular issue. NetBeans' C++ support is overall terrible, though.
For anything larger than small projects, you want the IDE to automate creating as many of the necessary files as possible.

But for small (at home, pet) projects, I agree.
And what IDE would you recommend me for small projects?
ive always been happy with vim/gedit and then just using the terminal for everything else (make, sed, grep, etc). ive stumbled across sublime, which i quite like, except for one apparent bug it has
LOL, I've been using Notepad++ as of late. But I never need a debugger and I fix syntax errors by throwing them at the compiler...

I do most everything at the command-line, unless some environment is appropriate, such as when programming in Racket/Scheme.

I'm told Sublime is, well, sublime. But I can't afford it right now.

Most good environments, like Eclipse, Code::Blocks, etc, have configurable project lists so you can select exactly what kind of project to begin editing (and by extension, what files are autocreated with it --or not).

Sorry I couldn't be more help.
I'm told Sublime is, well, sublime. But I can't afford it right now.

the only people who ive ever heard say that are the people that think of it as an ide :/ also it must suck not being able to afford free software
It's not free software, the author expects you to pay for continued use. (Not doing so is, in my opinion, a form of theft.)

I also never claimed it was an IDE.
I use Notepad++ for everything because configuring an IDE is a pain and I have just given up.
you can just pay for it whenever you want, but whatevs, its your morals. also, i never said that you claimed it was. i was just saying that most people who say its bad think of it that way
You're confused. You specifically quoted me and said that those who have expressed that thought to you think it is an IDE, which, unless you can read thoughts, they have also expressed to you.

I responded that I am an exception to your experience.

You also ridiculed me for "being unable to afford free software". I pointed out that the author disagrees with you (and does so on the very page you can download it), and also gave my reason for treating the idea that I might someday pay as a very loose justification for "continued use".

Finally, I'm not sure you understand the meaning of "sublime". (Hint: it's the opposite of "bad".)
> code editor, .. and an error detector that shows you where there is a syntax error,

Geany: http://www.geany.org/

> with a debugger,

With a plugin: http://plugins.geany.org/debugger.html

> or where you forgot to initialize variables and things like that?

Most of them would be flagged if you compile with -Wall -Wextra -pedantic-errors

sorry, in my tired state i thought sublime was bad for some reason. also, im not understanding what youre saying about the first sentence
Pages: 12