Object Oriented Programming question

Hi everyone I am taking my first Object Oriented Programming class at FSU in the Spring of 2015. My question is what should I know, or have a firm grasp and understanding of in C++ language before I go into this class? I know it will be very difficult and I don't want to spend the first few weeks of class playing catch up. Anyone that has taken a first year Comp Sci OOP class or just anyone with a general understanding would be great to at least have some ideas of what I need to know before going into class. Thanks!
Can you find out what the textbook is before class starts? If not, there are a plethora of resources out there. I would spend some time on YouTube. Search Jeremy Siek's C++ Short and Sweet (There's only a Part 1 unfortunately) for a quick primer on basics and some extra. I believe that's on Udemy.

It will be important to know about Abstract Data Structures (classes and structs etc), about polymorphism and inheritance, function and operator overloading... Dynamic Memory Management is also Very Important! That's all your pointers and linked lists and... pretty much the basis of future C++ learning.

I personally found Y. Daniel Liang's book Introduction to Programming in C++ to be excellent. Part II is all about OOP, and it has loads of examples, and it doesn't read like a textbook at all. Even if you just take a look at the table of contents, then research those subjects on your own, you will do fine.

Lastly, do all the tutorials on this website! You will become a guru in no time!
Last edited on
I suspect that Abstract Data Structures (classes and structs etc), about polymorphism and inheritance, function and operator overloading will be things you'll be learning in the class, so you may not need to know them going into the class.

You should be reasonably proficient in basic C++ programming already. Know the syntax, std::string, and one or two of the containers like std::vector<> and std::list<>.

Beyond that, read up on how to use the debugger. It's pretty clear to me from reading the questions on this forum that very few beginners know how to use a debugger.

Other general advice:
- allow lots of time. You can't fake your way through a programming class because the program either works or it doesn't.
- Design first. Code second.
- Don't get bogged down. If you get stuck for more than 30 minutes or so, seek out help.
Awesome thanks guys that is excellent advice. Yea I took an intro to C++ class over summer and passed it with an easy A because almost all the stuff in the class I had already taught myself from youtube videos. But I haven't done much programming since the end of that class due to other prereq classes I needed to take before I transfer. So now that the semester is ending I want to dive back into it and refresh before I start this class.

I purchased the textbook "Jumping into C++" by Alex Allain because I heard it was a really good starting point and a really good reference book, if nothing else, but I haven't done much reading into it yet, so that is still yet to be determined.
Can you find out what the textbook is before class starts?

the textbook is called Absolute C++, Student Value Edition Edition: 5th and the isbn # is: 9780132846813
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.