String comparison help?

Hi all,

Long story short I'm creating a program that takes user input in the form of a string and tests to see if it matches a word. Each correct word will increase their score by one. Here is a portion of the code that is not working.

else if(s == 32) {  
     if(!currentLetter.empty()) {
          currentLetter.erase(currentLetter.length() - 2, currentLetter.length() - 1); 
     }

if(currentLetter.compare(oWord) == 0) {
          currentLetter = "";
          score[a]++;
          oWord = getRandWord();
          nWord = scramble(oWord);
     }

else {
          currentLetter = "";
          cout << endl << "Incorrect. Please try again." << endl;
     }
}

To me, this looks like it should do a very simple task as intended-take a String, compare it to another, and reset the word if they match or output incorrect if not. But, I'm not sure if there is some quirk in C++ with Strings, because this code always outputs
Incorrect. Please try again.
and the score never increases. I also tested this by literally setting the strings equal in the code, which still resulted in it not doing what it's supposed to. Any ideas on what I could be doing wrong?
Could you start by explaining what your code above is intended to be doing? For example, what is the type of currentLetter? Its name suggests it is a character but its usage suggests it is a std::string.
I'm sorry, currentLetter started as a char but I later realized it had to be changed to a string and didn't want to change its' name in every place.

s = string (The last letter typed, not necessary for this problem)
currentLetter = string (The current WORD (not letter) that the user is inputting)
score[] = int[] (The player's score)
oWord, nWord = strings (Old word/new word. Not really necessary for this, all you need to know is that they are strings)

Any other info you need?
If s is a std::string, why are you comparing it for equality to the integer 32? That should be a compile error.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.