Built in Functions and User defined

hi! could some body please tell me or either way post a link on what is a built in function and user defined is cause i cant seriously find a decent example about it in the net. PLEASE HELP. its my homework. thank you.
Well. I just googled "What is the difference between Built in Function and User Defined Function?" And got this very good answer.

http://www.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_difference_between_Built_in_Function_and_User_Defined_Function
This is an awful answer. if, while, etc are not functions. They are statements (and sizeof is actually an operator).

There is no "built-in" functions (like built-in types) which are intrinsic part of language in C++. I believe question calls "built-in" a standard library functions, which are already created for you.
@MiiNiPaa Thanks for clarifying that! But maybe that link still answers @engrbarbie's question, but he just used the wrong term? Same with the link I suppose.
@op a built in function is one provided for you by the interpreter/compiler/implementation. for example, in python 2.7 print is considered a built in function (and for that matter python has an implicit module imported actually called __built_in__ or something like that). c++ doesnt technically have any built in functions afaik, unless you want to count the stdlib. in c++, control flow and loops are not functions. they are branches. this can vary from language to language, but in c++, no.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.