Thoughts on "The C++ Programming Language"

I found this book by a chance. Seems good but it's quite big. Can anybody recommend it to a beginner like myself? Here is what I'm talking about:
http://ebookbees.com/the-c-programming-language-free-ebook/
Last edited on
i'm not lazy! Just want some feedback before starting a demanding read like this one (:
Mmmm, yeah you are a bit lazy here. That's the De-Facto standard of all C++ books written by the creator of C++. There are literally thousands of reviews and articles about it. Just do a search and you will find more info than you could ever read. As a summary I would say it's a great book but very C++ specific and a little too much of a reference for beginners to programming in general. If you want to start with Stroustrup start with this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Principles-Practice-Using-Edition/dp/0321992784/ref=pd_sim_b_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=15AZ0P4ZR5JD3VAPYEZN

It's more general and teaches good programming WITH C++ rather than everything ABOUT C++.
Mmmm, yeah you are a bit lazy here.

not really... even if he does read it how could he possibly know if its good or not?

That's the De-Facto standard of all C++ books written by the creator of C++.

only half true. its not the standard of c++ books, but it is written by Bjarne, yes.

There are literally thousands of reviews and articles about it. Just do a search and you will find more info than you could ever read

that doesnt make them good ones... anyone can go online and write anything, without ever having read it. there is nothing wrong with asking his peers where he knows that quite a few of us have a proper knowledge of c++.

As a summary I would say it's a great book but very C++ specific and a little too much of a reference for beginners to programming in general

it is a great book yes. of course its c++ specific, since it is a book on the c++ programming language. there is nothing wrong with learning from it. i did. it was my very first taste of c++. quite good for beginners.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.