What to exercise on ?

Hi,

I'm looking for ideas of things that I could program in order to enhance my c++ skills.

I've already written double linked list and a singleton and I must say that these greatly helped me to get used to some concepts like dynamic memory allocation, constructors, destructors.

I know that it would be best if I just tried to write whatever came to my mind, but I need some kind of "c++ 101" things that are 90% sure to teach me something new or deepen my understanding of something (my own ideas just might not be so educational and consume more time).

Thanks in advance!
Last edited on
huch, i may just give you a few keywords because I don't know how much you allready know...

General / important to know
- const correctness
- templates / type_traits
- exception handling

classes / also important to know
- constructors & destructors
- virtual methods
- operator overloading
- template class
- inheritance
- multiple inheritance
- abstract classes
- interfaces

C style programming:
- pointers
- bitoperations
- cstring (char*) // just so you know how strings work
- (malloc / free - memory allocation)
- C style generic programming (void*)(piece of shit, templates are master race!)

Get comfortable with standard libraries / also very nice to know
- STL
- standard c-library
- new features in c++11

And with some extentions
- boost
- Qt (Also includes Gui Programming like in C#)

Some game development libraries (if you're interested)
- SFML
- SDL
- opengl

If all of these are boring:
- multithreading / concurrent programming
- Websocket Programming (make a chat client and server)

This is everything that comes to my mind atm, I hope you find something you're interested in :)

If you have a good understanding of all of them you could make a trip outside of the C/C++ world to Python/Java/C#, Webdesign with HTML/CSS/(Javascript/Php) or Databases (SQL, MySQL)
Last edited on
he said to enhance his C++ skills. I recommend Helping others and (From experience) designing complex games with a large ammount of mechanics.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.