Line won't print

I am practicing c++ out of a book and it had me create the game NIM. One exercise tells me to change the program so that it prints the number of objects removed by the player, so I added line 27, but it will not print line 27. What did I do wrong with the cout?

/*      The game of NIM         */
#include<iostream>      // include two libraries
#include<cstdlib>
using namespace std;
int main()              // main starts the actual program
{
        //--------------------variable declarations-------------------------
        int num_objects = 23;
        int current_player = 1;
        int move;
        //-------------------- Beginning of the game loop -------------------
        cout << "How to play NIM: " << endl;
        cout << "The traditional game of Nim is played with a number of coins arranged in heaps: the number of coins and heaps is up to you. " << endl;
        cout << " There are two players. When it's a player's move he or she can take any number of coins from a single heap. They have to take at least" << endl;
        cout << " one coin, though, and they can't take coins from more than one heap. The winner is the player who makes the last move, so there are no" << endl;
        cout << "coins left after that move. (Some people play the game the other way around, with the last person to make a move losing the game, but we'll" << endl;
        cout << " ignore that version for the moment." << endl;
        cout << " It's clear that there is no luck involved here. You can work out the best move to make by cleverly predicting the sequence of moves that would follow it." << endl;

do {
           if (current_player == 1) {                                           // conditional: if
                cout << "Player 1, enter your move (1-3): ";            // output
                cin >> move;                                                    // input
                while (move < 1 || move > 3 || move > num_objects) {
                cout << "Illegal move. \nEnter a new move: ";
                cin >> move;
                cout << "Player 1 removed " << move << endl;
              }
           } else {                                                             // else part of conditional
                do {                                                            // make sure move is legal
                   move = 1 + rand() % 3;                                       // random computer move
                } while (move < 1 || move > 3 || move > num_objects);
                cout << "Computer removed " << move << endl;
           }
           num_objects = num_objects - move;                                    // implement the move
           cout << num_objects << " objects remaining. \n";
           current_player = (current_player + 1) % 2;                           // switch player
        } while (num_objects > 0);
        //--------------end of the game loop-----------------
        cout << "Nice going player " << current_player << ", you win!\n";
        cin.ignore();
        cout << "\nPress enter to quit.\n";
        cin.ignore();
        return 0;
}
Last edited on
Works fine for me. When I enter 6 as my move, and then any other move, then it prints out line 27.

What do you want it to do, becuase right now its doing exactly what you are telling it to.
I just want it to tell the number of objects removed by the player. Is that what it is doing for you?
First it checks if the move was illegal - while (move < 1 || move > 3 || move > num_objects)

If it is, say I enter 7, which is an illegal move, then it will enter the loop. Then it will ask the user to enter another re-enter the move. If the user enters something illegal again, it will then print out line 27, which is "Player 1 removed" etc. and then re-run the loop. If the user enters something legal, it will STILL print out line 27.

You probably want it to only output how line 27 when the user makes a legal move no?
Oh, yes. I added the same cout right before the while loop on line 24 and it works. Thanks
Good good :) But, remember, it will also tell us how many player removed even if we give the program a illegal move, thats not what you want is it?
No I do not want it to tell how many the player moved unless it is a legal move. So am I going to need another if statement right after the "cin >> move;" inside my first if statement that will tell it to only say the amount that the player removed if the move is within 1 and 3?
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.