String pointers help needed

There are these two practice problems I'm stuck on right now:

1. Write a function that prompts the user to enter his or her first name and last name, as two separate
values. This function should return both values to the caller via additional pointer (or reference)
parameters that are passed to the function. Try doing this first with pointers and then with references.

and

4. Write a function that takes two input arguments and provides two separate results to the caller, one
that is the result of multiplying the two arguments, the other the result of adding them. Since you can
directly return only one value from a function, you'll need the second value to be returned through a
pointer or reference parameter.

I already did the first one with references, but I'm having a hard time doing it with pointers. And as for number 4, how do I return the second value with a pointer or reference parameter?

How do initialize and return a string as a pointer variable? Or is a string already a pointer (but if that's the case, how was I able to explicitly use the & operator to reference a string and return the reference?)?
I already did the first one with references.

Please, show that code.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.