Memory access problem with pointer

I'm having a run-time error with memory access. I tried to shorten my code below to highlight what's important, hopefully I didn't take out what's useful to analyse the problem.

Debug

For some reason I'm getting segmentation fault. I searched up the reasoning and it has to do with accessing memory that I don't have access to. However, the statement std::cout << d1.getPatientNameAtPosition(2) << "\n"; is simply accessing the pointerArray in the private member of the Doctor.

Could anyone see what's wrong with my code that causes this problem?
Last edited on
I think that what's happening is that my pointer array ceases to exist when I reach the function d1.getPatientNameAtPosition
No, I don't think that's it.

Post the code for Patient.
You were right that wasn't it. It was because of my destructor and I didn't include it in my code. My mistake! XD
It basically looked like this

~Doctor::Doctor{
delete[] patientArray;
} 

This would end up for some reason deleting my pointerArray beforemy function getPatientNameAtPosition ran.

EDIT: The error did not reside in the Destructor but actually in my addPatient function. My addPatient function was if (maxArraySize < 20 ). But maxArraySize is 20 therefore the if condition is never fulfilled and the Array is never written.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.