Questions about what c++ can do

I'm making a game in c++. I been wondering is c++ able to transfer information over the internet? Could I make a multiplayer game that can be played over the internet with multiple people playing the game? I'm not sure at the moment but I don't think I would need to transfer a lot of information. Looks like so far I would need to transfer some small txt files and access them over the internet to change some information.

If this can happen then would I just need regular web space or would I need a web server or something that I'm not thinking about?
Last edited on
I been wondering is c++ able to transfer information over the internet?
yup.
But the standard library does not provide an interface for that.

the boost library provides something you might want to use.
I never worked with it but here is a chapter from the boost.asio you might want to read.
It's about network programming using boost.asio
http://theboostcpplibraries.com/boost.asio-network-programming

That being said it is of advantage if you know how TCP/IP communication works because it was the first protocol used as defacto standard communication protocoll.
Yeah I plan on TCP/IP as I know enough about that to get started. Thanks but do you or anyone else know what type of web space would be needed? Would I need the big bucks for web server or could I just use regular web space thats used for a website?

Pretty much what would be the cheapest option if I didn't have to send a lot of information.
Would I need the big bucks for web server or could I just use regular web space thats used for a website?
Pretty much what would be the cheapest option if I didn't have to send a lot of information.
We had Doom 2 server installed on SOHO router when management in my old workplace changed and we were forbiddden to install anything not work related on company servers.
Worked like charm.

Be vary, that if you get web hosting, you might not get the ability to install arbitrary programs. Usually you will be left with some sort of web server and CGI with limited capabilities.
OK thanks
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.