Beginning C++

I would like to learn c++ but I'm confused by the c++ standards i.e c++11 and c++14. I would like to know how I can start. What resources should I use? Since most only talk about c++11 and is it OK if I just start with c++ 11 then when resources for c++14 are available I can pick c++14 from there? The compilers?. I would guidance to help me begin on the right track.
Last edited on
This site has a tutorials section (see on the left?) which is a pretty solid place to learn. "The New Boston" on youtube is a pretty good teacher who has C++ videos. I've been using C++11. The "standards" can add some features to the language or add restrictions, little updates to the original C++ basically. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%2B%2B11 there's some info on C++11.

A compiler is what takes your source code (The C++ code) and translates it into machine code (executable by your computer). The linker (which is probably with your compiler) takes the machine code (the machine code is in object .o files) and links it into an executable file (like a windows .exe for example). It's a bit different for each operating system, if you have windows like me you can use either visual studio's compiler, cygwin, or mingw (cygwin and mingw are gcc ports from unix to windows, since c was originally developed for unix systems) and more. An IDE is optional, you can just compile/link the code yourself through the command line if you wish (each of the 3 compilers I listed have options to be used with the command line) or you can use an IDE which makes it nice and easy for you, which is probably going to be the better option but it's up to you.

If you don't have windows then half of the above paragraph was probably pointless for you, I can help a bit more if you tell what OS you have or you can search for compilers on the internet.
> What resources should I use? Since most only talk about c++11 and is it OK if I just start with c++ 11
> then when resources for c++14 are available I can pick c++14 from there?

Yes. C++14 has added very (very) little to C++11.

Stroupstrup's 'Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++ (2nd edition)' is based on C++14.

> The compilers?

The current versions of any of the free compilers (from LLVM, GNU and Microsoft) have good support for C++11/14.

The specifics depend on the OS that you are using. Windows? BSD or Mac? Linux?
Thanks guys. Am using windows so you've definitely been helpful. I think am just going to start with C++11. The Book "Stroupstrup's 'Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++ (2nd edition)' " will be really hard to get where I live and I do not have a debit card yet to be able to purchase it online. Anyway,thanks again guys.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.