Diffcult with vectors and for cycles

I wrote the following bool function:

bool user::Execute(SampleFormat& sample, const EventFormat& event)
{
  if (event.rec()!=0)
  {
    Float_t a1, a2, a3, a4, a5, a6;

TLorentzVector tlvelec, tlvmu, tlvleptons, tlvleptonmax, tlvelecp, tlvelecn, tlvmup, tlvmun, tlvZ, tlvjetbtag, tlvmup1, tlvmup2, tlvmup3, tlvmun1, tlvmun2, tlvmun3, tlvelec1, tlvelec2, tlvelec3; //With TLorentzVector.h we can work with vectors of 4 dimensons, to know more about TlorentzVecor.h go here https://root.cern.ch/root/html/TLorentzVector.html 

Float_t min = 81;
    Float_t max = 102;
    Float_t mz = 91.1876;

for (unsigned int i=0;i<event.rec()->electrons().size();i++)
    {
      const RecLeptonFormat& elec = event.rec()->electrons()[i]; //this array gives the 1, 2 or three electrons presented in the event (event.rec()). 

tlvelec = elec.momentum() ; //function inside TLorentzVector.h
      HistptELEC->Fill(tlvelec.Pt()); // same ^

if ( elec.charge() > 0 ) {
         tlvelecp = tlvelec;
         }
    cout << "elec positive" << endl;

if ( elec.charge() < 0 ) {
         tlvelecn = tlvelec;
    cout << "elec negative" << endl;
    }
   }

for (unsigned int i=0;i<event.rec()->muons().size();i++)
    {
      const RecLeptonFormat& mu = event.rec()->muons()[i];

tlvmu = mu.momentum();  

if ( mu.charge() > 0 ) { //tlvmup is the 4-vector of the muon with charge +1
    tlvmup = mu.momentum();
    cout << "mu positive" << endl;
    }

if ( mu.charge() < 0 ) { //tlvmup is the 4-vector of the muon with charge -1
    tlvmun = mu.momentum();
    cout << "mu negative" << endl;
    }

tlvelec = tlvelecp + tlvelecn; //sum of vectors

tlvmu = tlvmup + tlvmun;

if ( (tlvelec.Pt() > tlvmu.Pt()) )
        {
        tlvleptonmax = tlvelec ;
        HistptLEPTONS->Fill(tlvleptonmax.Pt());
         }

if ( (tlvmu.Pt() > tlvelec.Pt()) ) // Pt() is another function
        {
        tlvleptonmax = tlvmu ;
        HistptLEPTONS->Fill(tlvleptonmax.Pt());
         }

}

if ( (tlvleptons.M() > min) && (tlvleptons.M() < max) ) { //M is a function, so tlvleptons.M() is the value of mass of the 4-vector.
         tlvZ = tlvleptons;
         HistptZ-> Fill(tlvZ.Pt());
         HistmZ-> Fill(tlvZ.M());
         cout << "display pT(Z)" << tlvZ.Pt() << endl;
         cout << "massa = " << tlvZ.M() << endl;
         } 

}
  return true;
} 

Here we always have, for each event:
- tlvmun + tlvmup + tlvelecp OR // 1 negative muon + 1 negative muon + 1 positive electron
- tlvmun + tlvmup + tlvmup OR
- tlvelecn + tlvelecp + tlvelecp OR
- tlvelecn + tlvelecp + tlvmup.

When we have tlvelecn + tlvelecp + tlvelecp, I don't know how to compare both vectors of the positive electrons. The sum of THE positive electron 4vector and the negative electron 4vector has to be closer to a certain value than the sum of the other positive electron 4vector and the negative electron 4vector.
Last edited on
The sum of THE positive electron 4vector and the negative electron 4vector has to be closer to a certain value than the sum of the other positive electron 4vector and the negative electron 4vector.
Huh? What do you mean by "closer to a certain value"? Do you mean that norm(sum1 - certain_value) < norm(sum2 - certain_value)?
No, I mean norm(sum1) - certain_value < norm(sum2) - certain_value, with certain_value being a constant (this would select the case where norm(sum1) is closer than norm(sum2) to 'certain_value'). Here the certain value would be mz, and instead of the norm we have a function that is sum1.M() (sum1 = tlvelecp + tlvelecn) and this function gives a value (so it is a lot simple than having to calculate the norm). My problem is when we have 3 electron (i=0, 1 and 2) because we would have 2 vectors tlvelecp and I don't know how can I pick the one which satisfies better the condition sum1.M() - mz < sum2.M() - mz (where sum1 = tlvelecp1 + tlvelecn and sum2 = tlvelecp2 + tlvelecn - here the numbers at the end of the vectors tlvelecp1 and tlvelecp2 is only to distinguish one from another). They are in a for loop and I think I have to work with the index of each other, but can't solve the problem.
Last edited on
No, I mean norm(sum1) - certain_value < norm(sum2) - certain_value, with certain_value being a constant (this would select the case where norm(sum1) is closer than norm(sum2) to 'certain_value').
But this is equivalent to norm(sum1) < norm(sum2). Do you mean abs(norm(sum1) - certain_value) < abs(norm(sum2) - certain_value)?
Either way, let's just say that f(sum1) < f(sum2), where f: V -> R.

My problem is when we have 3 electron (i=0, 1 and 2) because we would have 2 vectors tlvelecp and I don't know how can I pick the one which satisfies better the condition
Do you need to get all the possible sums of the electrons and find the one with the minimum f(sum)?
//Given: T electrons[length];

double min = DBL_MAX;
int min_i = 0, min_j = 0;
for (int i = 0; i < length - 1; i++){
    for (int j = i + 1; i < length; i++){
        double f_sum = f(electrons[i] + electrons[j]);
        if (f_sum < min){
            min_i = i;
            min_j = j;
            min = f_sum;
        }
    }
}
Yes, I meant abs(norm(sum1) - certain_value) < abs(norm(sum2) - certain_value). Thank you for your reply, I'll try to solve it considering the example you gave. Have a nice day!
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.