I want to become a C++ developer;I need tips

I am an Industrial Electronic Engineer, I finished my degree doing a final proyect of a Algorithm to simplificate boolean fucntions and It was coded in C++.So I learnt about that, but I must still C++ how to become a professional.As I studied Electronic(It's related to computing but It's not the same) I dont know if I could have the chance to become a developer.I have carried on studing C++, but I dont know if my effort will worth,if because of my degree that is not specialized in software will be a disvantage....what could I do? what should I do to become an C++ developer? should I learn anything else? have anyone had the same situation than me? any tip or experience will be a great help,thanks.

King Regards
What exactly do you want to develop?

Some pretty generic advice is to try to build a network. A network with other programmers will get you extremely far. However you'll need a portfolio if you want to be hired. Take a some time to build a large one.
To be honest I dont know, I know that soemtimes in offer jobs the ask for people with knowledge with C++ and VHDL(It's a electronic computing) and that C++ ....I dont know if the programs should be so long or they dont have to be like that...

And how do I build a network with other programmers....at the moment I have 3 big proyects that I'm thinking in putting them in Github...
To be honest I dont know, I know that soemtimes in offer jobs the ask for people with knowledge with C++ and VHDL(It's a electronic computing) and that C++
So I take it you want to get into hardware development and programming?

I dont know if the programs should be so long or they dont have to be like that
Can you reword this?

And how do I build a network with other programmers....at the moment I have 3 big proyects that I'm thinking in putting them in Github...
Get an internship at a company that you seem to like.
Sorry Avilius I have been away I would have liked to answer you before...

What I meant about long enough is, what kind of program should I do? or how should they be?

I have done three big programs with the help of my techar at the university, I was coding it, but there are some part that i dont understand because he did them...I'm on my way to understad them, but I dont know if the profile could contain little programs where I show what I know...or they should be bigger than that.

About the VHDL that's true I would like to do that too, but honestly what I learnt about VHDL is so tiny It was just an initiation, and as I'm working and studying C++ could be quite difficult to get into VHDL too. VHDL seems easier than C++but I have alreay got into C++ so give it up could be a waste of time apart from I really like C++...

are you working as a programmer, how was your history if you dont mean to tell or tell anyone that you could know ...

Thanks a lot!!
Do you want to become a C++ developer, or do you want to be an electronics engineer who can whip up some code when needed?

If the former, it's probably a bit late for you. I don't know what the job situation is where you live, but I'd be surprised if you were unable to get a better-paying job as an engineer than as a software developer. You need to think about whether that's economically viable for you.

If the latter, then it's much easier. You can just learn C++ in your spare time at your leisure.
I have alreay got into C++ so give it up could be a waste of time
This is the sunk cost fallacy. The time you spent so far learning C++ has already been spent. You're not going to get it back by continuing to spend time on it when there may be better uses of that future time.
That said, just because you need to pause learning C++ for a while doesn't mean you're "giving up" what you've already learned. You can carry on where you left off later on.
What I meant about long enough is, what kind of program should I do? or how should they be?
I mean what field do you want to get into? Do you want to be a network programmer? Do you want to get into finance? Do you want to get into game development? Security?

are you working as a programmer, how was your history if you dont mean to tell or tell anyone that you could know
I do freelance right now. Pretty much just build a portfolio and make a network.

You can do both by:
-Get an internship (recommended)
-Taking on small freelance programming jobs that interest you for free

After that, take your projects and put them up on a site with contact information.
well, my situation is the next.... I'm an spanish living in London, I got here about a bit more than a year..I didn't know english so at he begginig I was focus on that during 8 or 9 months after that, I started to carry on studing c++ and trying to get a intership or graduate position...but It's not being easy...working 8 hours per day and spending the rest of the day studing or delivering CV's are making me a overbusy guy, but that's not the important....what's important is to become a real engineer...I would like to design and I dont mind what...as long as I'm not doing a office job as some engineers end up. As my final proyect was coded in C++, and when you finish the degree you know a lot but you're not an expertise in nothing, and the job advers always ask more than an amateur knowledge in something..... I have ended uo having a couple of interviews for C++ positions, the gave to me a questionarie which I answered so so well(60%-70%) and In my Cv's I have put that U have done some poryects in C++, but about electronic I dont have anything done just a few little proyects in Arduino...so that's is my situation I'm an electronic engineer with a small C++ profile...and yes, the ideal for me will be make use of my knowledge in c++ in an electronic position, but I want to get a tech position, maybe working coding in c++ I wont have to deliver cvs and study c++ at home I could dedicate more time to study thing like vhdl....

Sorry fot the big paragraph I have tryed to explain my whole situation....any idea ,tip or whatever will be welcome!!!

And Avilius do you know how I could get into a freelance proyect, even for free to start to do thing more professional??...

And Avilus again I dont know what fields I would like, I dont know if that matters according of what you should learn about c++...but I guess network programmer attracts me more than the rest...
Thanks to both for your recommedantions, i'm pleased to know that there are people that help new people who want to get started in this world.....Thanks!!!
Well if you need experience... write some projects. Anything. Just something to prove you aren't some random kid who paid his way through college. Create a portfolio (notice how I am repeating these words). Use this as an opportunity to experiment; write software in fields you haven't touched before. Contribute to open source projects. Not only will this stuff look good to employers, but you'll gain experience as well.

As to where to find projects to contribute to, check github.

And Avilius do you know how I could get into a freelance proyect, even for free to start to do thing more professional??...
You can find them anywhere, really. You could go to a freelancing site (not recommended as they're flooded with foreign workers whose cost for living is quite a bit lower than, say, the US or UK.) You can also just ping the Job boards every once and a while for jobs that may interest you... really on any site. Here, cprogramming, or even something like reddit.

But first, and I cannot stress this enough:
BUILD A PORTFOLIO! This really makes you more attractive to pretty much anyone as a programmer. Before you even attempt to get a job, do this! Just make a few solo programs to make it look decent, then after that join a hobby project to grow it even more!

The key to everything is a portfolio!
I'm on that, I have three programms....what I'm wondering I fI would need to build a interface with something like QT creator...or just uploading the sourcefiles and a .doc explaining everything would be enough...

yes, I agree is more important build a portfolio where I can show what I can do, than try to find a job with less possibilities of doing it...

Thanks I will have in consideration your tips
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.